Friday, March 14, 2008

Bionicle Birthday Cake

Today we finally were able to bring Luke's birthday cake to Bible study to celebrate. It is a Bionicle character who I thought was named "Visok". I searched around the internet to try to find a picture and description of this character, but I was totally unsuccessful, and all the boys are already asleep. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to shed more light on the guy, and at least make sure I have his name spelled correctly. I know he's a bad guy though.

**Update** The cake is a Piraka named Vezok, and you can read all about him here, at the Bionicle Encyclopedia. I'm sure you will all rush over and increase your knowledge level right away!!

The cake was met with mixed reviews here at home. Nathan, always the encourager, said it was "really pretty good". Luke, ever the perfectionist, allowed that he didn't think anyone else could have done better, so it was okay. More of a "you did the best one could expect" reaction, LOL. I reminded him that I had said it would be really hard to make anything Bionicle, and he said, "Lesson learned!" LOL! I guess he won't be asking me for anymore of these particular cakes! At Bible study, however, people were impressed, especially the McC boys, and now there is just a little chunk of the middle left.

To make the cake, I baked a 9x13 cake, as well as 2 pyrex bowl cakes. The larger bowl cake sat on top of the 9x13, which I trimmed in the back to make the sort of correct shape of the head. Then the smaller bowl cake sat on the back part of the 9x13 to make where the Bionicle pieces would connect the head to the rest of the body. The spike out the front is a graham cracker that I gently cut in the shape of a spike and stuck way into the cake.



6 comments:

Johanna said...

I think you did an awesome job. The best I have ever done was to decorate a sheet cake creatively LOL. If you ever get a chance you should check out www.charmcitycakes.com
They have some amazing cakes and a couple of them are Star Wars cakes. Just don't let the boys see them because their expectations for future cakes may go through the roof. LOL. They are waaaay too expensive for my wallet but it is still cool to look at their creations.

Bob and Claire said...

Charm City Cakes is the place that they feature on that show Ace of Cakes, right? I've watched that a few times. Pretty cool!! The detail they can do is way out of my league.

Bob and Claire said...

Also, about Charm City, (having just spent lots of time looking at all their pictures, LOL), they mainly work with fondant icing, so they have a lot more flexibility. You can roll little things out of the icing, plus it goes on really smoothly, so you jsut can do more with it. The only problem is that I abhor the taste of fondant icing, whereas I love the buttercream icing that is Amy's mom's recipe! And I figure if I'm going to spend all this time on a cake (they usually take btw. 1 and 2 hours to frost), then I should at least enjoy having a piece later!

I have done several of the same things as Charm City--space shuttle, cowboy boot, and pirate ship to name some--and all with buttercream icing. I'll have to find old pictures, scan them in, and post them sometime.

Johanna said...

I completely agree with the taste thing. If I am going to eat a piece of cake (not a cake person) it is always a buttercream icing. I have watched the show a few times and I ALWAYS wonder, at some point, if the cakes taste as good as they look.

Beverly said...

This is great!

I had a lot to catch up on here...hope your finger is doing better and that the bout of pinkeye is finished. Whew! When it rains, it pours, eh?

Joy said...

Can I just say that I am very impressed!! WOW!!