Sunday, June 01, 2014

Pregnant at 41

Well, I was 22 weeks on Thursday, so over halfway done.  Yay!  I had an OB appointment on Wednesday, and everything was fine.  The doctor said everything on the ultrasound looked good.  She also said I was only a point or so off on my failed glucose tolerance test at 16 weeks.  I guess it's good that I wasn't pulling in sky-high numbers, LOL.  She said for my 28 week glucose test, I had the choice of taking the 1 hour one again, or just going straight to the 3 hour one, since my 16 week one wasn't very abnormal.  Ha--I don't have a chance of passing the one hour test, and I'm almost positive I won't pass the 3 hour one, so I definitely opted to go straight to the 3 hour one!  I don't want to wast my time AND have to drink more of that nasty glucola that I have to!  The baby's heart rate was the low 140s, which would normally be a boy heart rate for me.  I guess I'll be bringing blue and pink outfits to the hospital this time, just in case the ultrasound was wrong!

I was concerned about my weight because I feel like I have gained more this pregnancy than in all my others.  I think I've gained about 20 pounds, and usually I only gain a total of 30 pounds.  But she calculated I had only gained 16 pounds, which she was fine with.  Maybe I wrote down a higher number for my "original" weight?  Who knows?  That got me to thinking about differences in pregnancy now that I am over 40, and metabolism is a big one--I gain weight really easily now!  I've always been able to just eat normally and not gain too much, but now I find if I am not really careful, I'll gain a pound every few days.  Ack!  And this is with exercising twice a day most days, ever since my failed glucose test!  Crazy.  I know it's going to be really, really tough to get this weight off once I deliver too.  Ah, something to look forward to.

I also am already having a lot of round ligament pain.  That may actually not be a function of being over 40, but rather of this being my 10th pregnancy though.  But if the pain can be so bad at 21 or 22 weeks, I am really dreading weeks 38 and 39!  It's really bad at night, and it can be hard to fins a good sleeping position that doesn't cause ligament cramps.  I'm going to have to start wearing my maternity support belt already during the day, especially when I am walking, I think!

I think those are the only big things I've noticed, so hopefully no one is scared off by a pregnancy at such an advanced maternal age, LOL.  The biggest thing is that being pregnant is not the novel condition that it was back with numbers 1 and 2.  No time for naps or any other special treatment!  It's more like just a normal, everyday condition--which is good in some ways, but hard in others.  Oh well, only 18 more weeks to go!  I think I can, I think I can . . .

No comments: