Monday, April 15, 2019

Another Unexpected Haircut

I haven't blogged for awhile, even though wonderful things have been happening, mainly because the huge thing overshadowing all other things is getting our house ready to go on the market in VA.  That is definitely the subject of another post, but suffice to say, it is not convenient to try to fix up a house from 8 hours away.  Some portion of us have been making the drive back almost every weekend since the beginning of March.

Bob and I decided kind of last minute to drive back Friday afternoon.  Although we would only have Saturday and some of Sunday to work, we are really so close to being done, and this past weekend was one where I could go back as well.  Bob went in to work at 5:30 and worked until 12;30, and then we left.

Before we left, I gave Micah and Drew haircuts because they had been looking a bit shaggy.  That was on my agenda for Friday evening, but with me not going to be there, I fit it into the morning.  Verity kept saying she wanted a haircut, but I told her no.  Her hair grows *extremely* slowly, like all our girls.  Other than trimming off scraggly ends, her hair has never been cut these 4 1/2 years of her life, and it still is only about chin length.

Everyone can see where this is going, right?  Saturday night, after a long, hard day of working on the house, both Anna and Caleb texted me to say Verity had taken matters into her own hands and given herself a haircut.  Bangs!  She gave herself bangs.  I was NOT pleased.  Again, these bangs will take years to grow out. Christine said it was a good thing we weren't coming back until Sunday night, to give me time to cool off, lol.

 Here is what Verity looked like.  She actually didn't do a terrible job with the bangs, except on the right side of her head.
 That must have been her first cut, and she went very close to the head!

We have had some experience with child-given haircuts.  Back in February, 2011, when I was heavily pregnant with Micah, Grace gave herself a hair cut.  She was almost 4. Hers was worse--she took a huge chunk off the back of her head, in a big vertical line. Anna reminded me that we always have said that Verity takes after Grace! For Grace, I decided to work on it myself, but with Verity, I took the coward's way out and took her to Great Clips.

 The older lady who cut her hair was very nice.  She kept telling Verity, "Only we can cut your hair--not you!"  Hopefully Verity will listen.
Verity looks cute now, so it could have been worse.  Whew.

The weekend's surprises weren't even over with the haircut!  Bob and I got back home Sunday night at 12:45 AM.  We fell into bed--and were awakened suddenly at 3:00 by a disoriented Micah, who stumbled into and around our room for a minute before vomiting all over the carpet.  Ack!  So today's adventures for me also included trying to get a big vomit stain out of pretty new, good quality carpet.  Sadly, it will never be the same again, I think.  One house is getting beautified, the other house is getting ruined.  Circle of life . . .


No comments: