Thursday, December 29, 2005

The virus is still winning

Yesterday morning Jonathan threw up again in my bed (was it just last week that I was laughing at Melinda for changing her sheets so often?! LOL! Now I'm changing them every other day!), and he was generally crabby all day long. He didn't want to eat rice, toast, soup, etc. No, what he wanted was cake and cookies, and he was not a happy camper when I said no to them! Caleb woke up with diarrhea. I felt pretty good during the day. Bob brought home Boston Market chicken for dinner, but by then I wasn't feeling all that well again. I ate a little bit, but before the boys went to bed all of that came right back up again. Sigh. So I guess I'm back to toast and soup today. I'm so glad Bob's family isn't coming today! When we talked to them on Monday, I couldn't imagine still being sick by Thursday--surely everyone would be done with this by then! Now I'm hoping and praying we're well enough to go to the New Year's Party at the L's house Saturday. Nathan and Luke are SO looking forward to this. We went there last year, and we counted down at 9:00, then blew noismakers, threw confetti, etc. Nathan and Luke thought that was about the most fun you could have legally! You can tell they had the misfortune of being born to a boring mom who doesn't do parties! : ) So I do hope we are able to go--maybe we just won't be able to eat anything! Luke is still holding out, the lone one who hasn't been sick at all. Who knew he had such an iron stomach?! I'm praying he won't get sick now, at this late date! I think that would really throw me into the looney bin.

We are certainly having a break from schooling! I hadn't planned on doing anything formal, but now we're mainly . . . not doing anything at all. They have watched a lot of videos and played a lot with their Bionicles and Playmobil. I have definitely noticed that when we don't have any real goals for the day, then there is a lot more bickering and complaining, so I am hoping we can get back into a more regular routine next week. I would love to send them all outside, since we're feeling a bit cooped up here in the sick house, but it is raining, and I don't feel like dealing with pneumonia on top of everything else! It has been funny to see what things the boys come up with on their own. Nathan has wanted to write some letters (!), including one, of his complete own volition, to Thangaraj, our Compassion International child from India. They are the same age, with birthdays only a few days apart, and I have done a lot of encouraging Nathan in the past to take more of an interest in writing him, so I was pretty excited when he came up with that! Nathan has also been organizing some stamps for his stamp collection. Since that involves sorting and organizing, Luke helped too. When my family first lived in Ohio, we lived in a huge old house next to another huge old house, where a childless widow lived. She gave my brother a big envelope with all sorts of old stamps in it. They've all been canceled, but it is so interesting to look at them. Many are from old Communist countries that no longer exist. Dan passed them all down to Nathan, along with ones from my mom and dad's amazing collection of international friends, so we have plenty of stamps to sort through and put in his album! It's a fun hobby for someone who likes history and geography as much as Nathan does.

Well, everyone is playing very nicely right now, so I am going to go read the paper. Wow--what a plan! : )

3 comments:

Bob and Claire said...

Hi April! Thanks for stopping by! I read your blog too--we also have a Luke! Great name! : ) Pilotmom is my aunt, and, I'm happy to say, my friend and blogging buddy!

Dy said...

Oh, Claire, I'm so sorry. And you were all doing better! {{hugs}}

Structure and bickering. The correlation cannot be ignored. I've tried. *wink* It does help them so much - and just think what a lovely time you'll have once you get back to normal!

Dy

Unknown said...

Yahh, not so good. Tough to have all that emesis around and feel like you aren't just...swimming in it and then to have diarrhea on top of that. Not so good. Nathan was the first to get sick right? Is he better? Except for Caleb, can you all eat some yogurt? Are they looking dehydrated at all? I am sure, knowing you, that you have taken all the routine precautions for this kind of "outbreak" but I just have to do my bit, can't shut the "nurse" part up, no matter how I try. I hope you are able to go to the L's today and please send our love to them all. We will be thinking of you and all our dearest friends and family tonight.