Sunday, April 14, 2013

Happy Birthday, Micah!


Micah turned 2 on Tuesday, and we celebrated with a little party after lunch at Rivendell!  As you can see by his somewhat overwhelmed and confused look, this party was a complete surprise, LOL.  I had made the cake Monday, frosting it after he went to bed, and I stored it on top of the washer in the laundry room.  I have to drop the middle kids off at TNT on Tuesday mornings, and I've just been leaving Faith, Micah and Drew here with Nathan and Luke, who are doing literature.  Our lit teacher brings her young kdis as well, so they all play together, but I figured the less they knew about a cake, the less trouble they would get into while I was gone. 
So after the middle kids all arrived back at our house after TNT, I called everyone in from playing on the trampoline (because wouldn't you know it, as they were walking in, I had just started nursing Drew, so they all escaped outside to play).  Micah was none to happy about having to come inside, and he was definitely taken aback when I put him in a chair, plopped a giant Bob and Larry VeggieTale cake in front of him, lit 2 candles, and then we all started singing, LOL.
Once Micah got a slice a slice of cake, he cheered up, however.  We've been working on holding up 2 fingers, but he still hasn't quite gotten it by himself.  My friend Kimberly's daughter holds up the first finger on each hand, which I think is brilliant, but Micah hasn't picked up on that either, LOL.

After Rivendell was done, and we got Nathan off to CAP (Luke decided to skip), we had ice cream, and Micah opened his presents.  Fortunately my mom and dad got him a cute plate set and a new Cars towel, along with some little toy cars, because I had a really hard time thinking of anything at all to give him.  I did pick up this little twirly thing that lights up, and he loves that, but I knew he would--a year or 2 ago, Jane and Terry bought the girls similar things at Idlewild, and they just loved them.  So when I saw one at Walmart, I just grabbed it.  Otherwise, what do you really get the 5th boy?!  I am not too ashamed to admit I went "shopping" in our basement, and I pulled out a huge Little People road/town thing where the road spins around in a circle.  I think we bought it for either Nathan and Luke, but I put it away awhile ago because it takes up so much room.  I can safely say Micah has never seen this thing before in his life!  Hopefully "gifts" will not be Micah's love language . . .

So Micah is now 2, but he has thought of himself as at least 2 since Drew was born.  He has given up his afternoon nap, except for the odd day where he falls asleep on the floor before I can get dinner on the table.  He can get in and out of his crib by himself, so I put one of those doorknob covers on so he couldn't get out of his room.  He got that off and hid the 2 pieces, but I put another one on, and he's not been so successful at removing that.  But that was when I decided to give up on naps and go with earlier bedtimes, and it's been awhile now.  He no longer sits in the high chair, and he drinks from a regular kids cup.  He jumps on the trampoline like a pro, and he just generally acts like he is much older than he is!  His new favorite thing is his pair of crocs, which I bought for him a week or 2 ago.  He loves those things and calls them his "bye-byes".  And since being outside ("bye-bye") is his most favorite thing, it makes sense he would always want them on! 

I should have height/weight stats, but alas, I haven't scheduled a 2 year well-baby appointment for him (or a 4 month well-baby for Drew, which should have happened around March 30.  Oops!).  At least he is finally talking  lot more.  I think that helps with his frustration levels, althoughhe can still pitch a mean temper tantrum!  Unfortunately for him, I have been around this bend before, so his tactics are not very effective, LOL.  He's a lot of fun to have around, and he gives really sweet kisses and snuggles.  Who can resist a little boy with a fuzzy blue blanket, sucking his thumb?  It's still so cute at 2!

No comments: