Monday, January 03, 2005

New Year's Resolution

Like so many other people, I have resolved that this year exercise is going to be more of a priority for me. Actually, since I dislike crowds and bandwagons, I made my resolution the beginning of December and started exercising before Christmas, just to ease into it all and beat the rush! : ) I started waking up at 7:15 and riding the bike for about 20 minutes. Obviuosly, I would like to go longer, but I simply don't have time to ride longer and still shower before Jonathan gets up, and I'm not getting up any earlier (that will have to be another year's resolution!), so I will have to make do. I was doing pretty well, although I stopped rising early while all the company was here and I was staying up late! We have our recumbent exercise bike up in our room, so all I have to do is roll out of bed and onto it in the morning, which helps immensly. I had mentioned to Bob that I would like another peice of equipment so I could kind of vary the routine a bit though. Then Dan and Melinda gave us a Walmart gift card for Christmas, and Bob, Dad, and the boys went shopping Friday and came home with a Gazelle Edge Trainer, like Tony Little advertises on TV, that was on sale there. Amy has one, and I had tried it at her house and liked it, so I was quite thrilled with this. I really like how it also stores up small! I've worked out on it several times now, and I am enjoying the workouts. I can vary what I'm doing, so it's not boring, and it's definitely a lot different than riding the exercise bike. We put it down in our new "exercise room" in the basement. Yes, we've done some rearranging! Bob had the great idea that we should rearrange our storage room so we could unroll one of the area rugs that we last used in our USAFA base house, and set up the weight bench, which has been living in our rec. room, in its box, next to our TV since we've moved. So we moved all the boxes and shelves around so they are now against the back wall and one side, and we unrolled the carpet. The room looks great! How nice to have even more space! Of course, we still haven't put up the weight bench yet, but I think the Gazelle excitement has distracted us! So I've been working out on that for 15-20 minutes in the afternoon (one more reason why our Christmas decorations haven't been put away yet). I'll keep you all posted as to how my new fitness regimen is a) working and b) lasting. We shall see! I know I have read several articles lately (Reader's Digest maybe? But I am too lazy to search for and link them) stating that several short bouts of exercise during the day are just as effective as one long session. For my science fair project, I will be testing this theory--just kidding! Whether it works or not, that is what I'll be doing since that is the only way I can exercise right now!

No comments: