Wednesday, April 06, 2005

High School Memories

We spent this evening at a high school track meet. Some of the coaches in the boys' track club coach at Broad Run High School, and they invited everyone in the club to the meet tonight, which was just a small one with only 2 schools. Since that meant it would be fairly short, and also since it was free, we decided to go. I was actually really excited about going. I love track meets! You can't help but be excited with all the races going on! It was really a lot of fun. The boys did great, and we stayed until the bitter end (the mens 4x400 relay, for those of you who don't have the event order memorized). Now Nathan is really inspired. There was one girl who ran the mile and 2 mile, and she was definitely in a class of her own. She absolutely blew everyone else away, even guys, since they ran the 2 mile together. We were sitting by her mom, who said that she was third in the state in cross-country this year. This led to a big conversation with Nathan about how God gives people talents, but you know she had to run a whole lot to be as good as she was. Also, during a relay, one guy fell during the handoff, but he popped right back up and kept running. A lesson in not giving up. There were 2 very slow girls that ran both the mile and the 2 mile races, and they came in dead last, having been lapped by almost everyone (lapped twice in the 2 mile!). But they finished--an excellent picture of endurance. What a great sport!

The track meet also brought back so many memories of high school for me. I actually got a little nervous as they prepared to run the 400m and the 300m hurdles. Whenever I'm around high school students, though, I'm always so relieved that I am out of high school and not dealing with all those pressures anymore! I could see the awkward kids trying to fit in, the awkward boy/girl flirting, everyone trying to look cool around their parents. So glad to be done with all that! After the meet was over, we ate dinner (very late!) at Subway, and there they were playing some kind of "all 80's all the time" type station, because there were all these songs I haven't heard since high school. Weird. "Red, red wine . . . " or how about "Ooh baby, do you know what that's worth? You make heaven a place on earth . . . They say in heaven, love comes first; you make heaven a place on earth." Cheesy! The whole time we were there, I kept racking my brain for the artists' names as song after song that I recognised was played, but I generally drew blanks. I think that's a good sign--my brain isn't wasting precious space on one-hit wonders from the 80's. Still, it's irking me. UB40? Debbie Gibson? I could google, but I'm not going to. . .

No comments: