Monday, October 02, 2006

Something old, something new . . .

I've decided to go a step farther with the whole "something old, something new" theme--past marriage and into pregnancy! The "something old" part is easy--that would be my maternity clothes. They've served me well, and they are still in my closet from the last time I needed them. And with each pregnancy I am needing them earlier and earlier! I am definitely showing now--at about 9 or 10 weeks--and having gained only one pound, after loosing all my pregnancy weight from Anna. Sigh.

The "something new" is fish oil supplements! I've never taken these before during pregnancy, but I'm expecting great things, LOL. With almost each pregnancy, there has been some incident of great mental lapse, completely unlike my normal self, that has made me run for a pregnancy test (or at least realize in retrospect that is what I should have done, LOL). For example, with Caleb, we were staying with my parents because we had just PCSed back to Ohio, and I was thawing ground beef in the microwave for dinner. After a couple of minutes, I took it out and was horrified to see that it was cooked instead of thawed. The crazy thing was that I couldn't even process what had happened--"What is wrong with the microwave?!"--instead of realizing that I obviously put it in to cook instead of thaw! And with Jonathan I made a big pot of spaghetti in the crockpot and then waltzed off to ladies' Bible study without ever turning it on. Both of these incidents immediately preceded my taking a pregnancy test because well, I just usually am not so scatter-brained.

This current pregnancy was the worst, however. On Sunday, Sept. 10, I was sitting in the study talking on the phone with my brother, when I happened to galnce at a stack of papers and see a party invitation for Caleb. Then I realized that the party had been that afternoon at 1:30, and I had totally and completely forgotten about it, even though it was on our calendar, and I had talked about it the day before. Oh, I felt so bad. This is pretty much the only thing just Caleb has been invited to, and he was so excited about it. I was literally in tears when I went up to tell him that I had forgotten, and we had missed the party. Fortunately, Caleb is a pretty easy-going sort of little boy, so he was more bothered by the odd sight of me crying (another pregnancy sign right there--how did it take me another several days to test?!) than by missing the actual party. But I just felt so awful.

So my point is that I usually start pregnancy off with some sort of dumb thing, and then I feel like I am sort of in a mental fog the whole rest of the way through, like I'm not really all there. But now I have started taking these fish oil supplements, and so surely all this craziness with go away. Right?!! I've heard such great things about them, and how they stimulate both the developing mind of the fetus as well as the mother. I need some of that!

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh, please be sure to post some reports as to whether this works or not! I feel I lose more and more brain cells with each pregnancy. I am normally so organized and "with it" that it's extremely difficult for me to cope with these odd lapses. I'm presently in the middle of the dilemma of having misplaced the sign-up sheet for a Christmas card class I'm putting on for a group of deaf ladies! I don't know all the names of the ladies who signed up, nor do I remember exactly how many signed up, so I'm having to figure out how best to place a supply order while in the midst of this fog! So don't worry, you're not the only one! LOL

Bob and Claire said...

Well, I definitely look up to you as quite organized, so I must say it does bring relief to know that I am not the only one who suffers from this mental pregnancy fog! I will keep you updated . . .

Dy said...

See, I've always blamed it on nursing. Once the babies wean, I can get in the car and all the way off the drive in less than two attempts. While nursing, there are guaranteed to be a minimum of five return trips back in for things I've forgotten (diaper bag, keys, wallet, mug, stray child...)

I hope the fish oil helps. But you've got to draw the rest of it out. What do you need to borrow, or that's blue? :-)

Dy