Saturday, November 03, 2007

Differences

People are always asking me if I have noticed a difference between boys and girls. Now that Anna is 18 months old, I can say that yes, I have noticed some differences.

1. Attention to details. So this morning as I was feeding Grace, Anna was piddling around in the kitchen. Everyone else was at soccer, so it was pretty quiet. Finally I got up and noticed that she was under the table. She had gotten into the left-over birthday cake (we took a cake for Caleb's birthday to Bible study last night) that was on the counter, found a bowl, put a piece of cake into the bowl, and hunkered under the table to eat it. The boys would never have bothered with a bowl. Also, Anna always picks the pink princess bowl if given the opportunity.

2. Drama queen. When Anna has a temper tantrum, she is such a drama queen. She wails loud, noisy tears, and then, as if an invisible hand is pulling her, she heads off into the bathroom to sulk and cry in lonely solitude. Ahh, the pathos.

3. Shoes. Anna has always been deeply attracted to shoes. When we were in Colorado last February for Nana's funeral, we stopped by the play area at the Chapel Hills Mall. Anna was crawling around, and I was trying to keep an eye on the 4 boys, when I noticed that Anna was deeply fascinated by another lady's suede boots. So she crawled closer and started LICKING them. Bleh!! Now she just puts on whatever shoes she can find. In fact, if you come over to visit us and take your shoes off, I can pretty much guarantee that she will end up trying them on. She has taken a particular fancy to a strappy pair of black sandals that I bought to go with a formal I had to wear a few times for balls and dining outs when we were stationed at the Air Force Academy. I now see those crazy sandals all over the house because Anna has worn them around. I'm not sure where she gets this love of shoes, since I am no Imelda Marcos or anything remotely close. I pretty much wear about 3 pairs of shoes regularly.

There you have it so far. I'm sure more points will be forthcoming.

4 comments:

Michele said...

Wow! I almost thought that I wrote this entry -- at least #1 and #2. Julia is so similar -- there are still times (at 4 1/2) that she'll have to remove herself to the bathroom (or bedroom)because of the drama. The attention to detail, oh my, that's her as well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, quick question. I remember talking with you about raspberry leaf tea during pregnancy. What kind you you use? Have you used pre-bagged or loose leaf? Are there any pill varieties that you know of (I'm not truly a tea drinker, though for a good cause, I could).

Just curious, thanks!

Pilot Mom said...

Why the shoe gene comes from Nana! You know she was known at one time as the "Imelda of the Americas!" ;) lol!

Johanna said...

After I read this I was a little worried. Caden is definitely a boy's boy, however he is also VERY dramatic about every little thing. He is my first one to drop to the floor and throw an all out tantrum, and is also my first to fake crying. In addition to that he is a very meticulous detail oriented child. But the wierdest thing is the last thing. He has had a shoe thing since he was old enough to pick one up. He has always run off with other peoples shoes. He loves to put shoes on, and when we go shopping if we just give him a pair of shoes to play with he can keep himself happy for quite some time. HMMM. I bet Anna doesn't like to play with bugs though does she LOL.