Wednesday, June 04, 2008

"Oh, give me a home . . . "

We had a wonderful time at Yellowstone, even though the weather wasn't totally cooperative. We saw TONS of wildlife--bison with their babies, elk, deer, foxes, bald eagles, and big horn sheep. We watched Old Faithful erupt, which was neater than I expected. It kept gushing out these little amounts, and I was getting pretty tired of waiting around. But we were all very glad we waited for the big eruption--wow!

We drove today through a lot of rain, but the Lord was faithful to protect us. The Wyoming scenery was beautiful, even with the clouds. I guess I'm just a western girl at heart. I really like the big, open spaces.

Tonight and tomorrow night we're at a Comfort Inn in Rapid City, SD. Our room is amazing--it has a balcony overlooking the pool! It's the only room to have this! We feel like the royal family when we step out on it, LOL. The hotel also has a nice business center practically next door to our room, which is where I am while we wait for Grace to fall asleep. She slept a lot in the car, and so she is not really tired right now. I'm glad we bought the new baby monitor before we left. It's working like a charm, and it's nice to not be in there with her while she rustles around!

You may be interested in an update on Jonathan. Bob and Jonathan got home a little after 4:00 Monday afternoon, with Jonathan's arm in a splint. The doctor said actually his arm was looking pretty good, and we should see the doctor at Bethesda in a week when we get home for a follow-up. Bob showed me the picture of the x-ray, and the lower bone is still broken a little bit, so it does still hurt Jonathan. He's doing fine with the splint on, and we can take that off if needed, which is nice. So he is healing, but it is just taking a long time. He did have extensive fractures of both arm bones in the lower arm, so it makes sense that it is taking a little while to heal. Jonathan is happy that he can bend his elbow now!

Well, Grace still hasn't fallen asleep, but Bob has returned from his swim, so I must say goodnight! We're praying that the clouds lift at least a little tomorrow so we can actually see Mount Rushmore!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your updates as you progress on your very well-deserved trip. The hotel should be complimented for treating the military and your family with kindness in giving you the very best room they had available.

We hope you enjoy Mt. Rushmore as much as we did. It was very windy when we were there, so we cut our visit short. We enjoyed the caves and the drive through the mountains. Melinda wasn't born yet so she missed out on that trip.

Emily's Nana

Dy said...

Ah, updates! How did I not see these? Drat the lack of memory - I should have hit "refresh". Pffttt.

LOVE Wyoming, Montana, Utah... oh, Zorak has to bribe me back into the car when it's time to leave. It's pathetic, really, because his heart is never really in it - he's just doing it b/c he knows he'll have to get back home to work at some point. ;-)

Glad your travels are safe and beautifuL!
Dy

Tonya said...

We were in Yellowstone and Wyoming last year. Love it out there too. I truly am a Western girl. My family is from Idaho, Colorado, Washington, Montana ... The wide open spaces, big blue sky. Ahhh. I'm glad we're moving back!

So glad you're having a good time on this trip. You missed some nasty storms here last night!

Johanna said...

Good to hear Jonathan's arm is doing well. I hope you guys have a great time at Rushmore. I know our kids loved it. It was hard to get them to leave there. I can't wait to get the details on Yellowstone. We really hope to make it there in the next couple of years.