Saturday, September 13, 2008

New Recipe

I tried a new recipe last night. It was really good, so I thought I'd share it with you. It was from the Sept/Oct 08 issue of Simple & Delicious.

Burgundy Beef

4 pounds beef sirloin tips, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 large onions, sliced
1 cup water
1 cup burgundy wine or beef broth
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground mustard
2 ablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
Hot, cooked noodles

In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Cover and cook on high for 15 more minutes or until the gravy is thickened. Serve over noodles.

So that's it! The commissary didn't have "beef sirloin tips", so I just bought some big chunk o' beef (bottom round or something--whatever was cheap, but not chuck), and it turned out fine. When I got home from the commissary, I cut the beef into chunks and then threw them into a gallon ziploc bag to freeze. That way when I was ready to make it, the beef was all ready, so I just had to throw everything in the crockpot. I used the beef broth instead of the wine, and I just realized when I was typing it out that I totally skipped the paprika, but it was really good, and everyone liked it. Definitely a keeper for us!

3 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

I LOVE Beef Burgandy!!!! Thank you for posting this. I needed a good new recipe for my crock pot. Yum!

Michele said...

That's funny! We just tried the Golden Chicken (page 14) this past week. It was much better than I thought it would be! I actually doubled the chicken and it turned out so moist and yummy. We've added it to the favorites list here. By doubling it we didn't quite have enough rice for 2 meals -- but I just made some white rice as well. Best part -- it was VERY easy to make!

Michele said...

O.K. me again. LOL You inspired me to share my recipe on my blog -- just in case anyone else out there may want to try it. Have a great day!