Wednesday, June 10, 2009

4 Month Old Faith

Faith turned 4 months old on June 8, which also happened to be my Mom's birthday! We had Faith's well-baby appointment yesterday, and she is up to 12 pounds, 10 ounces. The doctor said that was something like between the 40th and 50th percentile, and I had to laugh. At her 2 month well-baby, that doctor (different one) said she wouldn't be surprised if Faith was in the 75th percentile for weight at 4 months! Looks like I was right . . . The tech measured her at 25 3/4 inches, but the doctor totally laughed at that and said they were measuring everyone wrong that day. That would put Faith over the 100th percentile for height, and well, that's simply not how we grow them, LOL. She is definitely no tall giant of a baby.

The doctor didn't give me too hard of a time about putting her to sleep on her tummy. I guess they have to say something, even though most babies sleep so much better on their tummies, where they don't startle themselves awake. And now Faith is pretty close to being able to roll from back to tummy, so then she'll be able to get herself over to her own tummy and choose her own sleeping position! Right now, she can turn from tummy to back, and when she does this, she fusses around for awhile until someone come and turns her back over to her tummy. Then she goes off to sleep.

The doctor also told me that they are now recommending babies stay rear-facing until 2 years old. Can you believe that?! I mean, it's really probably safer to never put your child in a car at all, so when are they just going to start recommending that? And frankly, with the super-nanny democrats in office, it's probably just a matter of time until they pass that as a law--"Don't drive with children in the vehicle." Good grief.

So Faith is a healthy, happy baby. I tried to get her to smile today for a picture, but she was having none of it. She had shots yesterday, so she wasn't as cooperative. But in general, she still rarely fusses, and she absolutely adores all her big brothers and sisters, who adore her in return. What a life!

6 comments:

Lynnea said...

She is a cutie. I'm with you on the tummy thing. All of mine slept on their bellies.

The Brooks Family said...

So cute!!! I'm with you on the car seat thing, ridiculous - I am just waiting for the day we can't even put our kids in the car!

Pilot Mom said...

How precious! I can hardly wait to get my hands on her and hug her to pieces, as well as cover her in kisses! :)

Johanna said...

Claire - She is so cute.

I took Olivia to her well baby where I was informed that she should still be rear facing because she is only 18 pounds -- even though she is almost 15 months old (lets just say -- she's not rear facing and hasn't been for some time. You try listening to all that screaming). Then he said -- they recommend babies stay rear facing until they can't fit in a rear facing seat and in fact some states are trying to pass laws that say they have to stay in rear facing seats until they can NO LONGER FIT --( I said - try defining that in a law). Then he said that there are actually some European designers that make a rear facing seat for up to 3 years old and that in fact they are safer if they stay rear facing as long as they can. But he didn't stop there-- He said that if the driver could they would be safer driving rear-facing. I couldn't take it anymore and I went OFF on him. One more set of shots and we will be finding a new doctor.
I told him that if the Government was really worried about our safety there is no way they would allow SMART Cars on the road, but instead they push smart cars and other itty bitty "eco-friendly" cars that are death traps. He didn't say anything else.

Beverly said...

Such a sweetie!

When did you start her on tummy sleeping? I'm interested in trying it with Lucan...we haven't done it with our other kids, but the doc did say with his reflux it would be OK.

And good for Johanna for mentioning the smart cars. :-)

Tonya said...

My kids sleep on their tummies WAY early. And I turn them around before they are 20 pounds and before they are 1. Can you say rebellious? I cannot stand the rules we have to keep us safe. Seriously, life is dangerous! Yes, be wise, but not DUMB. OK, rant over. :-)

She's adorable!

**Oh, should I mention I've actually taken the baby out of the car seat on long road trips, nursed and put her back? SHOOT me.