Friday, September 18, 2009

Catching My Breath . . .

We're not going anywhere this weekend! I didn't have to pack suitcases for anyone! Or find any odd, random items that are rarely used but are definitely needed for the weekend! Actually, for the trip last weekend, I let the boys pack for themselves, having told them exactly how much of everything they needed. And they all put their own stuff in their own duffle bag. Nathan and Luke are old pros at this, having packed for themselves to go to Camp Caleb for a few years now. But even Caleb and Jonathan are not novices at traveling, and usually I tell them what to bring to me, even if I do the actual packing, so they should be well familiar with the packing procedure.

Well, when all the duffle bags were brought downstairs Friday, Luke mentioned that Jonathan's bag looked awfully empty, and I made a mental note to check it. That mental note promptly flew out my other ear, and I didn't even glance at his bag again. As we were well on our way, Jonathan piped up in the back to tell us that he had not packed any underwear, but not to worry--he WAS wearing a pair. Whew! LOL He also neglected to pack a second pair of pants, which I had specifically told him about, so he was a bit chilly when his jeans got wet on Saturday. So obviously a little more supervision is needed on his end, at least. Everyone else did just fine.

One thing I have realized as we have gotten back into our school routine, is that doing 2 co-ops with everyone is definitely more tiring. Classical Conversations is going very well. I really enjoy my class, and I think all the boys are learning a lot and having a lot of fun. But it is hard to get out 2 mornings a week, and preparing for CC is another thing taking up my time, although I do enjoy it! Plus, Nathan has his writing co-op Tuesday afternoons, and Luke's is on Thursday afternoons, so that is more business. Those will both end up being only every other week, though, so I guess that will help. The point is, the weeks are flying by, and I constantly feel like I am behind on cleaning, laundry, etc. (and I constantly feel that way because in fact I AM behind, LOL). Going away every weekend has not helped that either. Even typing a blog post has just become too much most afternoons and evenings! Hopefully things will settle down into more of a rhythm.

3 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

How about training Nathan and Luke to begin doing laundry on certain days? If I remember correctly, I trained Pilot the summer after 6th grade on all his necessary essentials (including laundry) which he would need when out on his own. Of course, that meant that he needed to use these essentials so as not to forget them before he was out on his own. Is that a possibility or just to far fetched? ((hugs)) to everyone!

Bob and Claire said...

Oh, they do laundry. We have to do at least a load a day, pretty much. There's just such a backlog that with us being gone 2 days a week, we get behind very easily at the folding and putting away of it all. But they definitely bring laundry down, start loads, put them in the dryer, and put stuff away! It's just SOOO much though.

Michele said...

Claire, it was almost if I was writing this post! Things have been really busy around here -- and I feel like I'm cramming all kinds of things in while we are actually home. Andrew does preschool T/W/Th. On two of those days, Thomas and Julia are taking home school classes at a church down the road from preschool. I feel like I'm running all over on those days, and while home I feel like I'm running around trying to get things done. We are settling into a routine, but sometimes I feel exhausted at the end of the day!