Monday, January 25, 2010

A Few Odds and Ends

First of all, I am sure you are all dying to know what was lurking in our dryer. As it turns out, it was nothing. Bob moved the dryer out and peered into it, but he could never see anything. When he looked into the hose leading out to the vent, however, there was a bunch of wet, stinky lint stuck in there. When we tiled the room, we switched out the outside vent and hose. It appears that the new vent allows rain and dirt to blow in, and then it just sits there and molders. So Bob switched out the vent again, and hopefully that will solve the problem. I think we were both quite relieved not to have to deal with the rotting remains of a rodent, LOL.

Secondly, it's still Christmas here at our house! I was browsing on Amazon Saturday morning, looking for some old movies to put on my wish list. When I was growing up in our TV-less household, we would rent a TV over the Christmas break and watch a bunch of old movies from the library. (This was back when libraries actually HAD old movies, and didn't pretend to try to be another Blockbuster). So I was looking at Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire-type movies when all of a sudden it dawned on me that I had ordered a DVD for Bob and the boys for Christmas back in October! I had been so excited about it, and it took several weeks to arrive, making me think it had gotten lost. But eventually it did arrive . . . and I promptly forgot all about it, even where I put it! I had to go up to my closet, which is where I always put gifts, and really root around in there for quite awhile before I was able to come up with it! It was a Mystery Science Theater 3000 collection (vol. 7)!

Back when Bob and I lived in Colorado, the cable company used to regularly (once a year or so)offer some deal to new subscribers--3 months free of something like that. I would regularly sign up for that, and while we got the cable channels, I would tape a bunch of movies. Then when our free time was up, I would cheerfully cancel, and we would have some movies to watch for the rest of the year. One movie I had taped was a MST3000 episode with the cheesiest black and white Japanese movie even made--"Prince of Space". It was funny and with no real innuendos, so the kids like to watch it as well. I wanted to get it on DVD, and I was happy to find it on the vol. 7 collection, along with 2 Hercules movies, and one more black and white movie, "Attack of the Killer Shrews". We haven't watched the last one, but from the picture on the box, the "shrews" are clearly dogs with masks. Should be funny! We watched the "Hercules Unchained" and "Hercules and the Moon Men" on Saturday, and they were both as cheesy and funny as they sound like they would be!

I am hoping to get some pictures posted of our renovations, but somehow, actually getting the camera card over to the computer and getting the pictures off of it has just seemed like too much work , so that has never gotten accomplished. I would say maybe later this afternoon, but the little boys did not get much schoolwork accomplished this morning. They did a little bit and then disappeared into our newly cleaned storage room to build elaborate Lincoln Log structures while I took a shower. They were playing so nicely and quietly that I didn't want to call them back upstairs. So our afternoon will have to include a lot of school before anyone can do anything extra, like mess around on the computer!

3 comments:

Lynnea said...

My brother got me the ever so cool Eye-Fi Share wireless SD Card for my camera. It automatically uploads my pictures from my camera to the computer (as long as both are turned on). I LOVE IT.

It has made blogging so much easier (as I have not learned the art of blogging without pictures).

L.

Johanna said...

So glad to hear there was no dead animal.

Allison said...

I love MST3000! My sister and I loved snow days growing up, as it meant we could watch the show. I never thought to look up DVDs of it, but they are so funny, I'm sure it's worth it.