Thursday, April 28, 2016

Whole30 Update #3

It seems like the only thing I talk about anymore is this crazy diet, but it is definitely what I think about a lot!  I'm 2 1/2 weeks into it now.  I think I am most proud of staying on it this past Sunday.  Bob and I left at 7:30 AM to drive up to his parents' house.  We met his sister and mom at the rehab center where Bob's dad has been for a few days, and we ended up eating lunch there--well, not me.  I had packed leftover grilled chicken cut up into slices, as well as raw mixed vegetables, one of those little tubs of Wholly Guacamole from Costco, and some grapes and oranges in a cooler, plus some almonds and cashews for snacking.  I waited until Bob and I got back in our car to drive over to his parents' house, and then I ate my lunch.  I left enough chicken, veggies, and fruit for me to have for dinner as we were driving back home as well, so it worked out really great.  Whew!

This week I've done more fish recipes.  I even made salmon cakes for the first time, using almond flour, and they were really good!  I got a paleo cookbook called "Well Fed" out of the library yesterday, which lots of people on the Well Trained Mind boards highly recommended, and I've been given tons of good recipes from friends on facebook, so I feel like I've been able to find lots of yummy things to try.  Tonight I made for myself a chicken fajita salad (without the sugar in the dressing), which I loved.  

I had my first "carb dream" a few nights ago.  I dreamed I was halfway through a bowl of apple cinnamon cheerios (a cereal I rarely, if ever, eat in the first place) before realizing that I had messed up my diet.  Then, since I had already messed up, I went ahead and ate brownies.  It was so real!  I was all down and discouraged when I woke up, but thankfully it didn't take me too long to realize it had all been a dream.  Anna had in fact made brownies the night before, so that part was true, LOL.  I never did get a taste of them, alas.

I was all happy because I lost 5 pounds the first week, but the second week, I only lost a little over a pound.  And my perpetually pregnant looking belly is still right where it has been since I delivered Verity, unfortunately.  I am glad I've weighed myself, even though you're not supposed to, because getting some positive feedback has been helpful for continuing.  It is still discouraging to know that I'm not even down to where I was last August before Verity stopped nursing, though.  I try not to think about that, LOL.

Today was almost a perfect storm.  I didn't get very much sleep last night, a combination of staying up to late to work on a lab (which I didn't even do all the calculations right on anyway, so I probably should have gone head to bed), and being interrupted by various people through the night, like Grace, whose retainer fell out of her mouth while she was sleeping, which was very alarming to her (she found it right next to her head once the sun came up and she woke up again).  I'm also hormonal, which undoubtedly played a part, and it was a gray, gloomy day.  Whatever the cause, all day long, all the carbs around were SCREAMING at me!  I've never before really craved anything, but I just wanted carbs today.  I ended up eating way more nuts than usual, and more fruit, but I never gave in to anything else.  Whew!  In fact, I should head to bed now to prevent a repeat of today!


No comments: