Tuesday, July 15, 2008

In Ohio Again!

well, to start off, we had a busy weekend, hence non blogging. Saturday I shopped at the local homeschooling convention. I've gone the last several years and gotten a good deal of things at the used book sale, especially. This year was such a disappointment! There weren't very many sellers there, and there were tons of shoppers. Even though I didn't see any curriculum I was looking for (Rod and Staff English in particular), I hoped to at least get some books for the boys to read on the drive. The books were very overpriced I thought, and most of them we already had anyways. Sigh. A big disappointment, as I said. Also, there weren't even venders I was hoping to see, like Memoria Press. I had really wanted to look at their Henle Latin guides, since I think we'll be moving into year 1 this year. Oh well.



Sunday afternoon our church had a big picnic over at a local park. It was very, very humid, especially for the 12 pregnant ladies in the church, but we survived, and it was a lot of fun. The boys played volleyball and a ton of other games. The girls played on the playground. I sat in the shade of the pavilion and sweated while watching them, LOL.



Monday morning the kids and I got up and out the door by 9:40 to start the drive to Ohio. We're visiting my family and best friend Amy and her family for 2 weeks! This is a REAL vacation for me! I was a little nervous about the drive, since I'm just 10 weeks along and still get tired in the afternoon. But God is faithful, and it was no problem. We listened to The Great Cheese Conspiracy and A Year Down Yonder on CD, which really helped keep me awake. That, and the box of Junior mints I ate.



I really enjoyed A Year Down Yonder. It was the sequel to A Long Way From Chicago, by Richard Peck, that we listened to on the way out to Utah. Both books involve 2 kids (just one in the second book) who have to visit their grandma down in some hicktown in the 1920's and '30's. The grandma is a real character--definitely not the cuddly, grandmotherly stereotype, but it makes for funny stories.

So far today I've been relaxing. I did a new Pilates For Pregnancy DVD that I bought off of Amazon, and I was very pleased with it. Exaclty what I was looking for!

The boys, especially Nathan and Luke, have been earning their keep here by helping Gradpa outside. He is pulling up sections of sod so Mom will have flower beds, and the boys have been helping truck the sod around the yard and lay it out on other places. They've also been helping to move the 10 tons of dirt that Grandpa had delivered a little while ago! They will be sleeping well while they're here, LOL! It's good for growing boys to be kept busy!

I need to go change a poopy diaper . . . it's not all relaxing around here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claire,

I made it to the Post office and sent the memory board. It was cheaper to use the US Post office. I just hate going there because it is so crowded and the workers are rude.
UPS is by my house(nice a cool in the store) and friendly workers, but more expensive. Melinda

Sandra said...

Enjoy your vacation and say hi to Amy for me!!

Johanna said...

We are headed to Ohio ourselves on Friday. Are you going to the Airshow? Do you know anyone who might be interested in going? We have an extra ticket for Saturday. It is for the pavillion area and comes with a reserve parking pass and shuttle service. Our whole family will be there to celebrate my fathers birthday, but we have an extra ticket because Chris is now in Alaska and unable to be there. Let me know.

Bob and Claire said...

We're not planning on the airshow--I know I could not handle the heat at this stage of the game. I'll see if I can find anyone else who is interested, but we've got some other plans for Saturday already.

I have such good memories of the airshow! From back when I wasn't pregnant and dealing with a troupe of children, LOL.

The Nowlin Family said...

Hi Claire. We pray you and the children continue to enjoy your vacation. From some comments you made earlier, it sounds like your boys may be attending Camp Caleb next week. If so, we'll be up there for family camp and Faith will be attending her first Camp Caleb (5th and 6th grade). Would love to see you all or at least some subset of you while you drop your boys off. God's blessings to you this day.
Joelyn

Beverly said...

Just a quick note to say hi and that I caught up on your blog! I'm somewhat relieved you haven't been posting lately. ;-) I'm so far behind in reading everyone's blogs, let alone posting in our own! Anyway, hope you're doing well and feeling great!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Enjoyed looking at your blog! Sorry that Memoria Press couldn't be in Ohio this year. I would love to hear from you via email.

Thanks,
John
john@memoriapress.com