Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Diabetes Clinic

So I had my diabetes orientation clinic this afternoon. It was long--from 12:30-3:00--and there were 7 of us there. First the nurse talked about gestational diabetes, and then she showed us how to use our new handy-dandy glucometers. This is where it's nice to be military--we all had bags from the pharmacy with the glucometer, 100 test strips, control solution, 200 lancets, and a box of alcohol wipes. All set to go! My blood sugar reading was 104 two hours after eating lunch, so that was good. It has to be under 120 2 hours after a meal, and under 95 in the mornings before eating. The nurse was nice and funny. She was pretty laid back about the whole thing, not in terms of the seriousness of it, but she definitely felt like we could all do this and it would be fine. She did say that stress raises blood glucose levels. Hmmm. No stress around here lately, LOL.

Then the dietician came in. She was one of those people with a big phony smile who talk really slowly, as if no one had ever even heard of a carbohydrate. She spent forever going over her stuff, which was not filled with anything electrifying or new, so that is what took so long. She talked to us individually and gave us each a diet plan. Mine is for 1800 calories, with 3 meals and 3 snacks. Some of the snack options are pretty gross, like "6 saltine crackers and 1 T butter". Yuck! That's not going to be a part of any snack of mine! I'm still working out what will be good things to eat, and how to count them. I knew that keeping track of a bunch of "meats, starches, fruits", etc. was going to be the hardest thing. Sometimes I feel like keeping track of just one more thing is going to make my head explode. Hopefully everything will settle into a routine. My blood sugar was 114 after dinner, which was 1 cup beef barley soup, a whole wheat biscuit with 1 T butter, and 1 cup salad. That's okay, but I guess I expected it to be lower, and I was so hungry and crabby by the time in was snack time, around 8:30! I ate 6 wheat thins, a slice of colby jack cheese, and an apple for snack, so I'm feeling better now. We'll see what my number is tomorrow morning.

When the nurse was talking, I got some more insight into how Bethesda will be as a place to give birth. I'm not planning on taking their tour, since they only offer it at weird times or in conjuction with a childbirth class. I definitely don't need the class, and who wants to make another trip all the way to Bethesda just for a tour?! So it seems like it is a pretty standard military teaching hospital, definitely leaning on the side of "rigid", as far as birthing options. Like I said before, I'm glad it's not my first, and hopefully they will just leave me alone. They have a really high epidural rate, as well as c-section rate, although the nurse kept making sure to say, "But we see a lot of high risk patients". She did say that they often induce gestational diabetic patients at 39 weeks, which is not something I want, since I had such a bad induction experience with Grace. I guess we'll see how I do at controlling my numbers. I am already praying that I just go into labor a bit early on my own, even though I haven't gone into labor myself the last 3 pregnancies, so I'm not holding my breath and expecting to.

7 comments:

petersonclan said...

I always swore I would never have an epidural. But I had one with Bethany, and Lord willing I will never feel a transition labor pain again. It was wonderful.

Just wanted to encourage you, if you decide to get an epidural, it's not so bad.

Johanna said...

Hopefully you won't need the epidural or the induction. We will be praying for you and that everything will go well (early).

The whole diet thing sounds miserable. Howevr, lots of people around the world have diabetes and manage a pretty normal life without such yucky sounding snacks. I'm sure you will find a better solution than the quick-fix they offered.

petersonclan said...

Hey Claire, I lay awake thinking of you last night... and I think that the 1800 calories is not enough. I'd get a second opinion on that amount. A normally active, non pregnant woman should get 1800 calories a day. I think pregnancy should be 2300... 500 more for the baby. Do some research. Now is not the time to lose weight, just be healthy for the baby. You have lots of little ones to be patient with, also. I really was thinking that it doesn't sound enough to sustain a healthy pregnancy.

Tonya said...

We used to eat saltines with butter on them as kids. Yum! Are you kidding? :-)

Also, it's your body, your baby. If you don't want to be induced tell them NO. They can make an appointment, you don't have to show. I'm a STRONG believer in the fact that I'm the consumer at the hospital - they do what I say. All this is why we are NOT Tricare Prime.

Michele said...

Claire-
Holding you up in prayer -- the fact of doing/remembering "one-more-thing" is a big tax on my brain and body too. Andrew was born at Bethesda -- and we had a great experience. Andrew was born on the day I wanted too -- even though they talk all about the teaching school stuff . . . I was big with him and hoped to just stay and have him that day I was there -- I did! I wasn't induced, but the doctor tried to stip my membranes and then I was off to do a bunch of other things around the hosptial. I did have to have a bit of pitocin -- which increased my pain greatly (I couldn't have an epidural even if I wanted one!)
Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that they say things -- but seem to cooperate a bit more with the patients. Just my experience.

Dy said...

{{{Hugs}}}

Unknown said...

Hello Friends........ this is very nice blog. When i was searching for Diabetes Clinic in Bangalore that time i got the Diabetacare centre. Friends it is excellent hospital. Very caring hospital. If you want any more information about the hospital you can go through the link http://diabetacare.com/