Thursday, December 04, 2008

Swimming

Last night we all went swimming, which means that yes, I was seen in public in my maternity swimsuit. Actually, not mine, but Amy's. I borrowed all her maternity clothes a few pregnancy clothes and still have them. And now I just refer to them as "mine", LOL. Anyways, even though it is a cute suit, I am rarely seen in it--think "ivory-billed woodpecker sightings" rare.

We've been on a bit of a swimming kick lately. First, before Thanksgiving, we got a free week-long trial membership at this hoity-toity health club that has just opened up about 15 minutes away. We all went swimming there once, and Grace absolutely hated it. In fact, as soon as we opened the door from the locker room to the pool area, she started fussing, and she barely poked a toe into the water. Bob took the rest of the kids swimming there a few more times during that week, but apparently they use some super-duper chlorine there, and Nathan kept breaking out in a terrible rash. It was just as well that the pool was only okay--it was open weird hours that weren't really all that child-friendly, although that could have been because they haven't yet been able to hire enough life-guards. Bob and the boys also went rock-climbing there, and Anna tagged along to watch, but as it turned out, she couldn't even be back anywhere near the pit, so that didn't work out so well.

On Saturday, Bob was going to take the kids swimming at our local county recreation center and buy a pack of passes, but when he got there, he found out they now have monthly memberships, which are a good deal if you have a big family! So he bought one of those, and they've been swimming a few times without me, plus the one time with me yesterday. This pool is much more child-friendly, with lots of play stuff, and even a water slide. The whole pool is only 3 and a half feet at the deepest, with more shallow areas for smaller kids. There is also a "lazy river" part with a current that carries you along. Grace has gone "swimming" there twice, and by the end of last night, she was actually walking on the gradual ramp into the water up to her swimsuit! That may not seem like a big deal, but believe me--it's huge! Everyone else is enjoying it too, so we are thinking we'll get a monthly membership every other month or so, especially through the winter. It's nice to have a place to go in the evenings to get exercise, and it hasn't been crowded at all when we've gone. I can't guarantee how often I'll go, however. I'm not that big into swimming even when I'm not pregnant, and now I just feel like Shamu. Now when Bob takes all the kids and leaves me at home . . . . well, I can certainly handle that just fine!

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Sounds fun! I do not have a maternity swimsuit, nor do I have any intention of getting one, LOL. I did have one for my pregnancy with Kenna that I had borrowed from a friend...used it when we were in FL with Ted. But it was a "tankini" think, and the top kept floating up because of all the material! TERRIBLE design for a maternity swimsuit, if you ask me!

Michele said...

I'm finally going through the rest of the girl clothes -- and spotted a couple of swimsuits that were passed to me. I added it to your pile wondering if you could use them -- guess that's a yes! I just need to sort through the 4T stuff -- then I will have a few boxes for you. The 3T stuff is mostly summer, but there are a few nice winter things too.