Monday, December 01, 2008

A New Challenge

The doctor called this afternoon a little after 4:00, and I do indeed have gestational diabetes. Sigh. So I go to a class next Wednesday afternoon at the hospital to learn how to check my blood sugar, etc. She said she would order all the stuff I need so it would be there for me. I guess it's good that this happened back at a military facility so I don't have to worry about dealing with Tricare claims. The real hassle, other than worrying about what I eat and checking my blood sugar all the time, is that I will have to be seen every week or 2. Since just a routine appointment pretty much takes at least 2 hours out of a day, I can foresee that not a lot of school is going to get done the next 10 weeks. I'm not surprised, but I will say I am still adjusting to the news.

5 comments:

Michele said...

I've been checking in a couple of times today to see if you heard any news . . . ugh . . . bummer. Hugs to you!

Beverly said...

Oh, bummer. :-( I'm a bit worried about this too...but my test won't be until after the holidays. I haven't had problems before, but there is diabetes in my family, and, well, I can't seem to stay away from the sweets these days, LOL. I'll pray for you and may be coming to you for support should I find myself in the same boat!!

Tonya said...

Oh, sorry to hear that! As if you didn't have enough stress lately! :-) What a stinky time to have to watch your diet too - I would have a huge problem during the holidays with that.

Unknown said...

Exercise, exercise, and exercise will help with your blood surgars by 50%. I don't like to do it, but I know all the reach for GDM says by exercising 30 minutes everyday helps.

Unknown said...

research..