Thursday, December 17, 2009

Home Again

We made it home safely on Tuesday, in time to drop Luke off at his Upward basketball practice and catch the last quarter of Nathan's game. So far, Nathan's team won the games we missed while we were in Ohio, and lost the 2 games since we've been home. Hmmmm . . .

We came to home to an echoing house because the carpet for the family room, study, basement stairs, first room in the basement, and the back stairs was coming on Wednesday. All the furniture from the main floor rooms was in the play room and dining room, along with all the food that was in the laundry room, which had also been emptied out. The family room and several other rooms had been painted, and Bob is in the process of laying tile in the laundry room and the main floor half bath (another empty room).

So Wednesday the kids and I hung out at the L's house, while they were at Great Wolf Lodge. I did 4 loads of laundry, since we are without a washer and dryer for the next little while, until the tiling gets finished. I also baked some ginger snaps and made some peppermint bark, since the thought of baking in my kitchen, where tools were covering pretty much every flat surface, was too much to think about! The carpet guys came, and the new carpet looks great! It's a berber, and we hope it will stand up to the wear and tear of 7 kids for a long time.

Today the kids and I ran to the commissary to get our Christmas turkey. Tomorrow we are leaving to go to PA to visit Bob's family for the weekend, including his sister Rose and her 2 girls, who are also driving in for the weekend. It will be great to see everyone, but it is a little hard for me to leave when there is so much to do to get the house in any semblance of order before Christmas, not to mention extras like putting up the Christmas tree. It's a good thing our Christian radio station plays Christmas music all the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas--otherwise I would not have any Christmas spirit at all!

When we come back, I think the focus for me will be on getting the family room back in order. Then maybe I'll feel better about putting up the tree, which the kids are really wanting to do. I guess it's good we have kids, because otherwise I would cheerfully just not worry about it at all! I had planned on starting school again when we came back from Ohio, but that has not happened. I'm not even sure where all the school books even are! Hopefully I'll be able to get the study back in order by the time January rolls around.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Last year I made peppermint bark for the first time, and I can't remember...do you put wax paper in the container, or just melt the almond bark in it without anything between it and the pan??