Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Still On Vacation

The kids and I are still here in Ohio. I didn't bring any schoolwork, so it has been so very nice to be completely on break. So nice, in fact, that I am hoping I can scrape together motivation to ever start again, LOL. Unfortunately, we must return home next week, so all good things must come to an end.

We have not been too terribly active. It's been cold and gloomy, and we've mainly stayed inside the past few days. Yesterday Mom's group of international wives came over. I had made cut-out sugar cookies yesterday morning, and the ladies decorated them in the afternoon. they made these intricate and delicate works of art. After dinner, the kids decorated the rest of the cookies. They made frosting-heavy works of sprinkles. And a mess--they also made a huge mess.

My parents have a Korean lady and her daughter living with them right now. They used to be stationed here, when the husband was getting his master's degree at AFIT. Now he is back in Korea, getting his PhD, and his family is here so he can have peace and quiet to work on his dissertation! Amy, the daughter, is 4 years old, so she, Anna, and Grace have been having so much fun playing together. She has several "princess" dresses, which her mom picked up very cheaply at a garage sale, so each evening all the girls get dressed up in their princess finery.

Work is progressing on our house back in VA. Painting has begun, and Bob has finished getting the trim around the hardwood floor in the kitchen. Much drywall was patched. They are also going to start tiling the laundry room floor.

I am still dealing with the news that we won't be moving. I'm having a lot of trouble processing it, to be honest. It seems so capricious that God would work things so that it looked like we were supposed to go, and then at the last minute take that all away. He could have stopped things back in September, and no one would have been as disappointed. Now I have to accept staying in Northern VA for good, and I'm having a hard time with that. When we moved there 5 1/2 years ago, I can clearly remember thinking, "Well, it will only be 4 years." But now it's forever?! Bleh. I hate the idea that the girls will grow up never having lived anywhere else but there. It will be nice to have the house finally be a little nicer, but since that comes with the knowledge that we are stuck with it, I'm not as excited as I thought I would be. I guess I'm just a little depressed. It's nice to be here in Ohio, where at least there is some distance from it all.

3 comments:

Johanna said...

Claire,
I feel so bad for you. I was excited about your opportunity to move. I can understand how you feel. Especially being trapped somewhere you really don't want to be. Although I know you don't need to be told -- Just remember somewhere in all this is God's plan and it is better than anything we could do for ourselves. Enjoy your time away from "the DC area" as I like to call it. Hope to see you guys soon.

Tonya said...

Wait, why are you stuck there? Bob can surely get a job somewhere else!!! Also, since the Guam job fell through, is he hoping to get another assignment or retire? Marie was expecting you to move back to Ohio if he retired. I think she has a house picked out on her street and everything (just kidding!). :-)

I do understand the whole thing of feeling like you expected to live somewhere for x amount of time and you're there much longer. We expected to live in MD for 3 years and ended up there for 6. I was happy to move!!! :-)

Unknown said...

I didn't realize how disappointed you were. I thought it was a blessing you guys weren't going!! You guys live in an awesome house, have great friends there, seems perfect!! I lived in the same area for my childhood and I made so many solid friendships.
You guys still have an opportunity to move somewhere else. Bob should get orders soon right?