Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Awww . . .

Luke pointed out once again that I have not blogged for a week. What can I say--well, not much, obviously, LOL. Today I was the character teacher for our co-op. This means that I am responsible for one grade of kids while the other grade in the tier is getting their actual teaching time. I was with the 5th and 6th grades. The unit we're studying right now is "Birds and Fish". While the kids are with me, we take prayer requests and pray, do a character study of some kind, have "read-n-tell", which is an oral book report, have game time, and eat lunch.

Today we also had to make a big card for the facility manager of the church where we meet. Byron has been there approximately forever, and he is retiring. I've always felt like he was a bit grumpy and hard to work with, but hey, I guess he was a known quantity. Anyhow, the card-making provided some interesting boy/girl observances. In both classes, I put the big sheet of paper on the table and asked if anyone had any markers or anything. Some colored writing utensils were produced, at which point the boys all sat in chairs around the perimeter of the room, while the girls clustered around the table and began discussing handwriting, particularly "bubble letters", flowers, smiley faces, and other adornments, all of which were soon decorating the cards. After much elaborate decoration, the boys made their way up to the table to write their names on the cards. The girls of course wrote messages, as if Byron was a close relative. Too funny!

It started out warm, but the temperature dropped throughout the morning. We still had gametime outside for both grades, however. It wasn't too bad for the 6th graders, but for the 5th graders, it was FREEZING! They chose to play a long game of "capture the flag", which was not resolved to anyone's satisfaction, with accusations of "cheating!" abounding. Nathan went with us this morning, so he got to play the games too (and eat a doughnut. Ed brought doughnuts for the 6th grade to celebrate Amanda's upcoming birthday on Sunday, same day as Anna's).

Anyhow, I eventually went inside and watched them run around the parking lot through the door, since I was so cold. How nice to have my assistant Nathan to run the show for me outside, LOL! While I was standing there, the nursery kids were eating their lunch. Being able to go to co-op is a huge highlight for Anna and Grace, especially since I bought them each pink princess backpacks at a consignment sale in the fall. They each get to carry their own backpack, with their own lunch! Exciting times, indeed!

The nursery worker told me that she had asked Anna if she liked having all those older brothers. "Yes, said Anna, firmly. "Are they ever too rough with you?" she asked. "No!" replied Anna. "I love Nathan, and I love Luke, and I love Caleb, and I love Jonny!" Isn't that so sweet?! The girls are very fortunate to have such wonderful older brothers who love them and take such good care of them!

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

And, they are ALL blessed because they have parents who took the time to instill those precious values into those boys! :D