Sunday, March 07, 2010

New Week?!

Whew, is it a new week? I am very ready for it to be! Last week was a bit hectic and chaotic. It started Monday night, when I found myself volunteering to teach the orchestra unit for all of our Classical Conversations group. (Did I learn NOTHING from the tin whistle unit?!) So Nathan and I spent a good long time making up a CD of music clips highlighting the instruments of the orchestra, using my Story of the Orchestra book, as well as my Beethoven's Wig 3 CD. It all went over quite well, but now I should be working on Handel. Instead, I am blogging. Hmmm.

Well, before CC on Thursday, we had an unpleasant flood in our laundry room on Wednesday. Our washer does this occasionally when I put in a big puffy load. This time it was a twin comforter and a pillow. It didn't get unbalanced, but somehow it spilled water all over the floor. We found out about it because Anna slipped in the water and got soaking wet. When I went to investigate the "spill" by the shoes, I found standing water. Uh oh! I spent quite awhile mopping up the floor of the laundry room all the way into the kitchen. The water had gotten all the way into our pantry, so I had to take everything out of the bottom of that, and put all the cereal and oatmeal there into ziploc bags because the boxes were all wet. We also had to take everything out of the new cabinet in the laundry room so we could tip it up and put towels under it. I didn't want the veneer finish to warp all around the bottom.

Thursday night found us moving all the furniture out of the family room again. Ugh! A few weeks ago when vacuuming, the seam of carpet started coming up and got sucked into the vacuum. Obviously for berber carpet, that's a bad thing! So there was a line partay across the family room. A man came out to fix it, but really all he did was make the line longer. Definitely no improvement. So Bob complained again, and the company sent another man out. This man was much more knowledgeable, and he discovered that the reason it had pulled out so easily was because the seam tape hadn't been applied correctly. So he came back Friday to pull up the carpet and seal the seam again. It looks tons better but gah, if I have to move those books in that bookshelf again, I am not going to be a happy camper! At least Bob had the brilliant idea to put masking tape marking where the shelves go.

Friday morning, as we were waiting for the capet man to get here, Bob called to say that our faithful Honda Odyssey, our 10 year old Ody, was not doing so well. Its transmission had given up the ghost. He barely got it home, and now we are trying to decide whether or not we should shell out over $3000 to fix that. It is very nice to have a second minivan. In fact, just Wednesday night, Bob and I drove to a coworker's house and bought a very nice TV armoire. It fit a 37 inch TV, but the got a new flat screen one and didn't need it. We don't need it for a TV, but it is ncie storage with DOORS that I can close to hide junk!! I was very excited. It is quite a large piece of furniture (heavy too--Ed and Zachary both had to come over to help Bob get it in!), but all we did was take out the back seats, and it fit in the Ody. So we're still weighing our options. In the meantime, I guess I'll be driving the big van more.

Also Friday morning, Nathan made the unhappy discovery that some of the boxes down in our storage room, which happens to be right below the kitchen and laundry room, were quite wet . . . Ack! So I had to go empty out a bunch of boxes. Thankfully there were no books, but still, what a hassle. Thar reminds me that I just left everything out sort of draped across other boxes to dry. I need to tape up some new boxes. At least Nathan found the wetness before mold set in. We had to pull up the area rug we have down there too.

Yesterday I worked at a large area consignment sale. I shopped in the morning, and then I worked from 1-5 so I get a bigger percentage of my total. I was so tired after being on my feet for those 4 hours! I don't know how people like Melinda, my sister-in-law, who are nurses and are on their feet for 12 hours a day, do it! Amazing!! Since we had our church small group over at our house this evening (Sunday), I really needed to work on getting all the books back in the bookcase, but I just ran out of energy. We had to rush home from church today to finish getting everything back to normal.

So this week I am hoping for a week with no boxes, LOL. And one with no new car problems . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

althought counter intuitive we have learned that when washing very big things (duvets, pillows etc) it is better to select the smallest load possible... small load means less water!