Monday, August 09, 2010

Highways and Byways

We're back home in VA! We spent one last night at Amy's house and left from there, bright and early Sunday morning. It was so wonderful to spend so much time with Amy this trip! We never ran out of things to talk about either . . . I actually was blessed by being able to spend time with several good friends this trip, like Beverly and Anja, as well as the international wives, and of course, my Aunt Claire! I'm so glad it worked out that she came while we were out in Ohio!

We had to be at White Sulphur Springs between 3:30 and 4:00 to drop Luke off for his week at Camp Caleb. We didn't even take the Turnpike, choosing instead Rt. 31, which was a beautiful drive. We still made it to WSS by 2:30, so we hung out at the playground for awhile. We did find out that no one there found Nathan's swimsuit and towel, which he left draped over a rafter of his cabin. Grrr. But I digress. Luke was nervous, mainly because he realized while still at Grandma and Grandpa's house that he had left his Bible here in VA. I told him that was easily remedied, but he said that if he left that, what else might he have left? I totally and completely understand that thought, since that is exactly how I think! He was glad to be dropped off and to have the whole thing actually start.

As we started down towards home, Bob already knew there was bad construction on I-70, and he knew right where to pop off the highway and take another road to avoid it! And then as we got into MD on I-70, it always clogs up, which is the most depressing thing ever! We're always tired by that time, and seeing lines of brakes lights out in the middle of nowhere just brings to the fore all we don't like about Northern VA and makes us want to turn back around and head west! So the last several trips we have experimented with getting off I-70 at various points before Hagerstown and taking small back roads. For us, there's really no downside. I'm sure it is farther, distance-wise, but it is visually so much more appealing to drive on back roads through cute towns and farmland. Plus, if we keep moving, Faith stays asleep, LOL. Bob and I have always enjoyed looking at old houses, as well as old buildings in towns. There are a bunch of neat towns in western MD, like Boonsboro and Middletown! I don't think the kids appreciate the unique buildings as much as we do, but then again, they're not driving either, LOL.

I never thought I'd be the kind of person who would prefer to get off the highway and drive on small roads because I've always been a "get there as soon as possible" kind of person. I guess I've mellowed in my advanced maternal age, LOL.

So now we're back home, and it's very quiet! We actually left Caleb and Jonathan back at my parents' house for 2 weeks of "Grandma/Grandpa Camp". They were tremendously excited by the prospect of having Grandma and Grandpa to themselves for awhile, as well as Aunt Claire, who is there for a few more days! Many fun things have been planned . . . And of course we dropped Luke off at Camp Caleb, so until Friday, it's just Nathan and the 3 girls here with us! Wow! Nathan said he felt like an only child, LOL. He is the only boy, and the only "older kid", so he's got a point! He started football practice tonight, though, so he will have plenty to take his mind off his loneliness! I have a long to-do list I am hoping to accomplish with no school and not as many kids around. We'll see how successful I am. Faith is teething her eye teeth, so she has been a real bear the past week. I need a camp to send crabby teething 18 month olds to, LOL.

No comments: