Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Happy New Year!

If you aren't a Facebook friend, you might have thought we never even made it back from Ohio! In fact, we made it back just fine, albeit less like the well-oiled machine we were on the way out! We stopped right before the OH/WV border for lunch, at a place where there is a Wendy's and Taco Bell right next to each other. Caleb is not a huge Taco Bell fan, so we always get a hamburger for him first, then go next door and the rest of us eat at Taco Bell. Of course, this was Friday, New Year's Eve, and the strip mall these restaurants were located in was BUSY at lunch time! Both place took forever to get our food, although Taco Bell won first prize. We didn't order enough tacos the first time, so I went back to order 5 more soft tacos. It took them 20 minutes to make those 5 tacos! And there weren't many people in front of us in line, either!

Grace also had some issues there. She "couldn't" go potty, even though we tried twice. Well, I knew she had been drinking water in the morning, as well as at lunch, so I put a diaper on her! She wasn't happy about that, but I didn't want to deal with an accident, and I knew she was going to be uncomfortable later! So later on, she started fussing around in the car. Hmmm. We did eventually make a stop at a rest area, but there's really not that many places to stop in WV or western MD! I could not refrain from telling her, "I told you you would have to go!"

We did not get gas at lunch, because there is no gas station at that exit, and of course there was no gas at the rest area . . . so a little bit later, I happened to glance down and I realized the gas light was on! So we had to make yet a THIRD stop for gas! Talk about fits and starts! At least we were listening to a good book on tape--Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stephenson. Nothing like a rollicking good pirate tale to make the miles go by! I was glad I saved the longer book for the way home. It was 6 hours long, so we didn't even finish it by the time we got home. We had to finish it up on the way home from co-op on Tuesday!

So we did make it home, and we picked up our guacamole and chips and headed over the New Year's Eve party at the L's house. That was a fun time, although I was pretty tired! I slept well that night and did not even remotely consider staying up until midnight to ring in the New Year!

The rest of the weekend I tried to unpack and get organized. I had limited success, LOL. Come Monday, I still didn't feel ready for school to start back up again, much less co-op the next day. And I still have some laundry that needs to get folded. We did a light day of school, and I prepared for Rivendell, where we were doing our first dissection, an earthworm. I also typed up 6 week's worth of memory work and got that all copied, plus 6 weeks of maps for mapwork, at Office Depot, so I am feeling very organized in that one area!

Today I had an OB appointment in the morning, and then I stayed and took my 1 hour glucose test again. I have no hopes of passing it, since I haven't passed a 1 hour one since I was pregnant with Anna, and since we are coming off Christmas, where I ate plenty of toffee and peppermint bark! Oh well. Then this afternoon I did a frog dissection with the kids of my friends Lynnea and Kari. They're the ones I did the earthworm dissection for back in December. That was fun! Frogs are much more rewarding than earthworms, LOL--much more to see and identify! Lynnea and Kari made us dinner, which was incredibly nice, so that is why I am sitting here with my feet up, on the computer--soup is heating up on the stove for us, and there is fresh bread as well! Yum!

So we're right back in the swing of things. Maybe some day I'll feel caught up and on top of things . . . It's always hard to start back up again!

1 comment:

Dy said...

Welcome home! I'm so excited about being able to use audiobooks for travel - Jase is *almost* quiet enough when we drive, now, for it to work. :-)

FB makes blogging hard, doesn't it?