Thursday, February 23, 2012

Micah's Terrible, Horrible, Very Bad, No Good Night

Yesterday evening was our small group meeting. Bob and Nathan were at basketball practice, so I left the kids at home with Luke. I left small group early though, because Micah hadn't slept well all day, and I knew he would be a handful.

Well, I could have stayed longer! Micah was so tired and crabby that Luke put him down before 7:30! I figured he would jsut sleep all the way through, since he was so tired.

But at 12:30, he woke up, crying loudly. When I went in to check on him, he was clearly running a fever. I nursed him, gave him Motrin, and took his temperature (101.5) with our handy-dandy new thermometer, which Bob had to hunt around for downstairs since it wasn't where I thought it was. I held him for awhile after nursing, but he just would not stop crying. No matter how I held him, he kept crying. I took him downstairs for awhile, and we rocked in the big chair in the schoolroom and looked out the window. I tried putting him down again, but he cried for a solid 20 minutes with no sign of stopping, so I went in and got him again.

All this crying is so unlike Micah! He sounded really uncomfortable, so I started thinking maybe an ear infection or something, since he is still snuffly. Finally, a little after 3:00 AM, I did something I have never had to do with a child before--I put him in his carseat and drove around!

It was so weird being out on the roads so early. I was the only person on these big roads that are crowded with cars at pretty much every other moment of the day! Of course, I was sooo tired that I was worried I was going to fall asleep at the wheel, and then Bob would have no idea where I disappeared off to, and he would worry . . . So I concentrated on staying awake and singing to the radio, LOL. After 5 minutes or so, Micah finally fell asleep, and I drove home, where I put him back in his crib.

I figured he would sleep late, but I set my alarm for 6:30 so I could call to make an appointment. But he woke up crying again at 6:15! After I nursed him, he fell asleep quicker this time (no driving required!), and I made an appointment for 10:30 this morning.

There was all this unexpected traffic, so we were 10 minutes late, but Micah napped in the car and was so happy at the doctor's office! He smiled, blew raspberries, and generally acted like a boy who would never cry for 3 hours straight. His ears checked out (lots of wax though--another prodigious producer!), and his lungs and everything else were just fine. He's finally passed 20 pounds (20 pounds, 5 ounces to be exact). He cooed and played with his shoes on the way home, and he ate a sunbutter and jelly sandwich in his carseat. Now he's getting ready to take another nap while I run errands. I guess he just wanted to spend an hour and 45 minutes driving to and from Bethesda with me, plus the actual time in the hospital! What fun!

So who knows what all that crying was for? Gas? Who knows! I am praying tonight is not a repeat performance, however!

No comments: