Thursday, June 28, 2012

18 Week Update

So I was 18 weeks along on Wednesday, if anyone is keeping track.  I've had this cold since Friday night which I am valiently trying to overcome, with limited success.  I'm sure my lack of success has been in part to staying up too late several night in a row trying to find all the news I can on the Waldo Canyon fire in Colorado Springs.  We were stationed in the Springs for 5 1/2 years, and that is where both Nathan and Luke were born.  My grandparents retired there, so even while I was growing up, we would visit there.  It is definitely a city near and dear to my heart, so it has just been so hard to watch it burn.

Several years ago (6 or so maybe?) there was a big wildfire around Deckers, CO, and a ton of NFS land was burned, including a bunch of campgrounds that we used to camp at with the L's back in the day.  I remember reading that it would take like 200 years for the area to look like it used to.  That was hard enough to imagine, with places we saw not so regularly.  This fire is affecting stuff we looked at every day out our back windows, and so many people have been so affected that it is just hard to fathom.  I mean, the Flying W Ranch gone?!  Unbelieveable.

But let's see, this was not a post about Colorado . . . it was a post about this pregnancy.  I never did hear anything back from the doctors, and it's been over a week now, so I am assuming I passed my 1 hour glucose test.  That's not a huge shock--I've never failed one at 16 weeks before--it's always the 28 week one that gets me.  With that in mind, I decided to start tracking my blood sugar numbers.  I dug my old testing kit that I used when I was pregnant with Faith out of the closet, and a friend from Bible study loaned me her poker-thing, since mine wasn't working (but in a miraculous event, mine decided to start working again!).  The only fly in this grand plan is that all my testing strips are from early 2009.  After getting ridiculous readings from the opened bottle of test strips, I threw those away and opened a new bottle (with an expiration date of Dec. 09, LOL).  I'm still getting odd readings, though, so I'm not trusting these either.  I think if I was seriously having problems then my 1 hour test would have caught it.  I don't want to obsess, and I'm not really worried now, but as I get farther along I would like to be able to monitor this accurately.  More likely, though, I'll just fail my 1 hour and 3 hour tests at 28 weeks, and then I will be gifted a brand new set of testing stuff and a new prescription for testing strips!  Whee and yippee!

No comments: