Sunday, June 24, 2012

Happy Birthday, Nathan!

Wow--Nathan turned 15 today, although he is not even around to celebrate!  I dropped him off at 7:30 yesterday morning to ride down with the other cadets in his squadron to the VA CAP encampment, south of Richmond.  To say he was excited about going is an understatement.  He was mainly nervous about the packing--forgetting something--as opposed to what they'll actually be doing.  He is feeling pretty confidant about all the physical stuff, as well as the drill/marching stuff.  I can't wait to hear his stories when he comes back!  Bob said there is no air conditioning where they are, so I hope he is able to sleep, LOL.  The cadets are all going to be given their own camelbacks, so that should help them stay hydrated.  He'll come back next Sunday.

Tuesday night we all went to an awards banquet at the squadron (Anna's take on the evening:  too long, and she didn't get enough dessert), and Nathan was promoted to cadet staff sergeant.  This was a bigger promotion than his previous ones, as he had to pass some special tests.  He is really enjoying CAP.

What a change from 15 years ago, when I was in my (shared) room at the Air Force Academy hospital, wondering how I could ever possibly take are of this new baby I had just delivered!  Bob couldn't even stay with me, so I felt very alone (although I could not just dwell on my thoughts in solitude and silence because my roommate, who had just had her 3rd baby, told me she didn't sleep well in hospitals, so she just kept the TV on all night.  Okay . . .)  We are looking forward to seeing what the Lord has planned for Nathan's life!  He is such a blessing to our family!

No comments: