Saturday, November 17, 2012


Yesterday was a very busy day!  I had an OB appointment in the morning.  Bob took the day off, so we drove to Bethesda for that.  The doctor was very nice.  She did check me, and not too much is going on.  I'm soft but only a cm dilated.  That's not too surprising, since I really haven't had too many contractions.  The doctor said the baby's head is not centered in my pelvis--it's off to the right, in a "false" pelvis.  That is not surprising either.  My babies like the right side, and I always have problems with the round ligaments on that side.  After I had Micah, the nurses kept exclaiming about how lopsided my uterus was when they were doing the fundal massage!  Anyhow, I wonder if this isn't a reason why I haven't been going into labor by myself these past several babies--they get comfortable in their off-center place, and then they never really push on the cervix enough to get regular contractions started.  Now, my cervix does end up dilating, but maybe it just does that out of habit, LOL.  I just don't go into labor.  I've been crawling around today, doing pelvic rocking and figure 8's, but I don't feel anything different like the baby shifting or anything, so that is discouraging.  And I reread my posts up to Grace's birth (May 1, 2007), and I was reminded about how I ended up being induced with her (due to the paranoid civilian doctor).  That was only a few days early--about 5--but she was not in a good position, and she took forever to descend.  Consequently it was a very long labor (9 hours--which is forever for a 6th baby!), and my uterus didn't clamp up right away after it.  Also, she had shoulder dystocia.  All in all, not my favorite labor experience, and one I don't care to repeat, so I guess it is better to wait for the week after Thanksgiving, with all its negative emotions, than try anything next week. 

I was very happy, however, that the doctor was able to get me an appointment next Wednesday.  I was so worried that this would be my last appointment before the week of my due date.  Hopefully I'll be a little more dilated next week, and they can at least strip my membranes.   So we'll see what these next few days bring.  I'm definitely at the point where I feel like I'll be pregnant forever, especially with not many Braxton-Hicks contractions either.  At least my parents are coming on Monday!  Hooray for Grandma and Grandpa!  Everyone is MOST excited to see them!

So anyhow, after the appointment, Bob and I drove to BD's Mongolian Grill, which is just down the street from the base.  Except that it isn't there anymore!  We always enjoy eating there, and we've gone right after being disharged with both Faith and Micah.  I guess we'll have to find a new tradition!  Yesterday we were starving, so we went a few doors down to Subway, which was tasty and cheap.  But not necessarily a place I would make a special trip to with a brand newborn baby, LOL.

Then Bob and I headed to Fort Meyer to make one last trip to the commissary.  I just went the end of October, so it really hasn't been very long, but I wanted to get a turkey and a ham for the time with my parents.  Plus, we can always use more cereal!  It's fun to go with Bob--stuff seems to jump into the cart, LOL.  The commissary was very crowded, though, which made it all the more tiring.

We got home, everyone helped unload, I cooked up 21 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken to use in casseroles and soups, and Bob made hotdogs for dinner.  THEN it was time for me to be off to Christine's house, where she was hosting a baby shower for me!  I hadn't been sure I really wanted one, but she insisted, and she told me to think of people that I just don't get to spend enough time talking with but that I really enjoy.  Well, that was easy enough, and there ended up being 9 of us there.  It was SO much fun!  I had a WONDERFUL time!  The food was delicious, the conversation was great, and it was just so very nice!  Those of you who couldn't make it, like Lynnea, Amy P., and Christine B., were sorely missed--you missed a great time!    We laughed our way through the evening, and I didn't get home until after 10:00!  And the ladies got me tons of diapers and even a frozen meal!

Funny story--I brought in all the gift bags and set them down in the family room.  Jonathan walked in.

Jonathan:  "Where did all these presents come from?"
Me:  "The baby shower--they're gifts for the new baby!"
Jonathan:  "Oh--the shower was for YOU?!"

LOL!  I guess he's used to me going off to all these baby showers at church and never imagined one would be for me!  So funny!

And that was the wonderful end to a long and tiring day!  I waddled off to bed, so thankful for the good friends I have here!  They are all such blessings to me!!

No comments: