Monday, August 26, 2013

A Monday Mystery

Let's all put on our Sherlock Holmes get-up, because I have a mystery to solve!  It all began back in July, when Siri asked to borrow an extra pair of khaki pants and church shoes for Eric when they traveled to France for 6 weeks.  See, in Hawaii everything is super-casual, so no one needs dressy stuff, but Siri was afraid France would be a little more uptight.  But she didn't want to buy stuff for only 6 weeks, and we practically run a store of boys clothes and shoes out of our basement, so it is no problem to find extra stuff! 

Except this time I couldn't find a size 8 1/2 pair of dress shoes.  I looked around in all the usual places, but I couldn't find them.  So I ran around to a few thrift stores where I discovered no one in Northern VA donates mens size 8 1/2 shoes.  Not 8s or 9s either.  In fact, men don't really donate many shoes at all, especially compared to the vast number of pairs of womens' shoes lining shelf after shelf! 

So I came back home, looked in a tub in the closet one more time, and lo and behold, there was the pair Eric borrowed last year, right in front of my eyes!  I have no idea why I didn't see them before!  So I grabbed them and put them in the bag with 2 pairs of pants (so Eric would have options!).  I gave the bag over to Siri at a Rivendell picnic we had on Aug. 14, when they briefly stopped through here on their way to France. 

I didn't think anything more of it until I was waiting for Nathan last Thursday evening, and I was productively deleting voicemail messages off my phone.  Then I noticed one from Siri on Aug. 15 that I had never even noticed, much less listened to.  It said that I had given them 2 left shoes, and did I have the right one somewhere?  What in the world?!?  How on earth did it escape my attention that I had given 2 left shoes?  I went back home and looked in the same tub, and sure enough--there was the right shoe, along with yet another left shoe--who knows where the other 2 right shoes are! 

So I emailed Siri to apologize profusely and to tell her that I could send the other shoe over with Isaac McC, who was traveling over to visit them in France in a few days.  Siri said not to worry about it, as Eric is quite enjoying just wearing his tennis shoes to church!

I them called Christine to tell her she didn't need to send church shoes along with Isaac, and she said she had known all along that I had sent the wrong shoe!  In fact, she gave me a brown paper sack at church the Sunday after Siri left, and it contained the pair of pants that didn't fit, as well as the 2 left shoes!!  When she said that, it did jog my memory enough to recall that she did once hand me a brown paper sack in the foyer of our church, which I then put in the van.  But that's it.  I can't remember anything else, such as which van I put it in, and I CAN'T FIND THE BAG ANYWHERE!!  Clearly something mysterious is going on in our house! 

Originally I thought this was a mystery about shoes--but now I am convinced something deeper and more sinister is going on . . . I am actually losing my mind!  LOL!

No comments: