Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Pregnancy Woes

Well, I was going to post an entry about homeschooling, since I've read some good articles and books lately. But that is too much for me right now, and instead I will complain about the minor aches and pains of pregnancy. I seem to be coming down with a cold, so I know that's making my brain fuzzy, but boy am I crabby! My real problem is that my left leg seems to be "out of joint". Has that every happened to anyone else? It's just . . . well . . . not quite right. It hurts right at my hip, and I can't really find a comfortable position. You know when you start wishing you could be put on a rack and stretched--that sounds appealing and surely it would help!--that you are in a desperate way! I remember these various vague discomforts from other pregnancies, but it seems like I should be farther along than 20 weeks to start experiencing them. {pause for reflection} Well, now I am remembering the church Super Bowl party when I was pregnant with Jonathan. I was only a few more weeks along than I am now, and all of a sudden I could hardly walk because I guess it was my sciatic nerve that starting hurting down the back of my leg. Fortunately, that didn't last the whole rest of the time or anything, but the point is maybe it's not too early for these sorts of complaints. So now I am counting down the minutes until I put Jonathan down so I can take a nap (although I can't find a very comfortable position there either!). Maybe exercise would help, although let me just say, that is not very tempting right now. It is much more fun just to sit here and gripe. LOL!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, we both know just how amazingly knowledgeable you are about pregnancy. Do you remember Nathan's baby shower at our house? You totally decimated the others in Pregnancy Jeopardy!
As I recall, it's a little early for the softening process, isn't it? I mean that would explain some of it. Anytime I gain or lose weight fairly rapidly, my sciatic nerve gives me a "yoohooo" as it gets squashed or moved. Makes me feel like I got a "hitch in my gittalong". That could be part of it.
I hear you about the exercise thing. It probably would be the best thing for you but it isn't very tempting. I am always amazed when I am incredibly uncomfortable and I go exercise because I can't sit still anymore and then find that I feel better after a very brisk walk or some work with weights. I have actually been researching that topic and have been teaching my patients to get up and exercise when you have those kinds of achey pains and discomforts. Not too many take me up on it...
Personally, I have been using the ball. You know the big inflatable balls you can sit and bounce on or stretch on etc. Lots of fun.
Any way, back to your hip, I think you can safely try heat or cold (whichever works best)to your hip. I have some great recipes for homemade ice packs. Just be sure to protect your skin.
And by the way, this blogging thing is kinda fun. Like email, but not.
Let me know if I can help.

Bob and Claire said...

Yeah, it's like email--but more like a conversation about the trivial and not-so-trivial things that make up life! That's why I like it too.

I did exercise yesterday (go, Claire!), and it did help my hip. So I guess it's off to the bike this afternoon too. After lunch we're going to the commissary though (usually takes about 4 hours round trip--bleh), so I might just be too wiped out by the time we get home.

Bob and Claire said...

Okay, it's actually a 3 hour trip. We leave around 1:00 and get back a little after 4:00--let's just call it "pregnancy math". And it was a good trip today. The commissary had everything we needed, and no one made any rude comments. Several sweet old ladies told me they were admiring my "fine looking boys", and one lady told me how she had grown up in a family of 7 children, and it was nice to see a big family, since they were pretty rare these days! : )

Dy said...

Pregnancy math! I love it! ROFL.

Glad you got up and moving. Personally, I hibernated and handed the boys the clicker (yeah, we get one channel - have at it, kids, lol) for the entire first trimester. I'm making up for it in the second and third, though. Not that you asked my input, but I would vote for staying as active as you humanly can the whole time. Less shock to the ol' ticker when you finally haul yourself, now 20 or 40 pounds heavier, up off the couch. ;-)

Don't you just *love* the way God sends just the right people your way with encouraging stories about the children they raised, or the families they grew up in, right when you could use a boost? I just soak 'em up, and want to hug *everyone* who is kind enough to say something encouraging. I love people for doing that.

May your weekend be filled with backrubs, silly stories, and the knowledge that you're loved.

Dy