Sunday, November 06, 2005

Scary

Today we had a scary happening. Ryan, our neighbors' son, had his 6th birthday party this afternoon. It was a swimming party at the local Hampton Inn. They provide pizza, pop, a party room, and use of the pool for 4 hours, all for $200. Wow, who knew hotels did these kinds of things? Pretty soon after we got there and got Caleb and Jonathan's life jackets on, I looked up to see Bob fishing Jonathan out of the pool. He had tilted forward and gotten stuck with his face in the water, but he was right by the steps behind some other kids, so I didn't see him. Talk about that false sense of security with life jackets. It was a horrible feeling, because I always read stories like that, where some kid drowns amidst a big party, with tons of people watching, and I just can't stand pools. So I consider myself pretty aware, but boy, does it only take a second. We are praising the Lord that Bob was there and hadn't gone in to change his clothes yet (so he stepped in wearing his church clothes, although it was mainly just one shoe that got wet). Scary, scary, scary. We will never have a pool, and I can't wait until Caleb and Jonathan learn how to swim--hopefully next summer. Every day I pray for the Lord's protection over my children, and I am so thankful that He answered that prayer this afternoon.

4 comments:

Dy said...

Oh, Claire! I am so glad he is alright. An incident like this really drives home how little they are, and what an immense responsibility it is to keep them safe. It can be overwhelming. And how's the mama doing tonight? Recovering? {{hugs}}
Dy

Dy said...

Ok, I'm all caught up reading, and I don't know if you get email notification of comments, so I thought, if not, I'd leave a catch-up comment in your most recent entry so you'll see it.

A GIRL?!?!? Does it help to know that my eyes are just now beginning to recede back into my head from hearing the same news, oh, several weeks ago? I've already told the go-to folks in the family that if One. More. Person. mentions shopping or makeup or not going hunting as the "perks" to having a girl, I cannot be held accountable for the tirade that will follow. *sigh* Will have to check out the Caddie Woodlawn stories, though. I need encouragement. After seven years of seeing the manipulative, whiney, arrogant, spiteful young women roaming businesses in outfits I wouldn't have worn no matter how much drinking I'd been doing, and DH and I muttering to ourselves, "boys-boys-boys, love our boys", it's going to be an adjustment. But I trust that it'll be a good shift. God doesn't give bad gifts, and our children are gifts.

Your DH hit the same nail on the head as Zorak did. After two weeks of unsolicited daughter-related horror stories from the men at work, Zorak looked at me one night and said, "You know, they earned the money that bought the clothes, make-up and CD's that they complain about. They dropped their daughters off and let someone else influence them so strongly. Where were they that they now have the right to complain? We don't do that with the boys and we won't do it with Emily, and she's going to be so much fun!" I love that man.

So, now that I've totally hijacked your blog. :-) Congratulations. Welcome to the "Oh. Really? Um, Wow..." club. I think we're in for some really great adventures!

Unknown said...

Pools and small children are not a good combo, no matter how diligent parents are because children are...children. I'm so glad Jonathan is okay.
We had a pool growing up, starting at age 11. Not only was it a relief from the horrible humidity and heat of summer in the Connecticut River Valley, but it was my responsibility to vacuum and maintain the filter stuff. I had a few friends that would hang out with me but mostly it was my family. I'll never forget coming home from Maine one summer Sunday afternoon, circa 1974. Driving into the sun for four hours, no AC....my mother (having been in the front seat) got out of the car the moment my father put it in park, walked in the backyard all the while removing her watch and shoes, climbed on the deck and fell into the pool Nestea style (arms out, backward)!

Bob and Claire said...

Yes, Jonathan is just fine--no trauma whasoever, although he will tell you "My face got wet in the swimming pool, and Daddy saved me", but I know the "saved me" wording is just because he heard me say it! He went back in the water with no problems.

LOL, Dy,I thought about you when we first found out! "Hmm, must be a year for girls in all-boy families." Just yesterday a relative said to me, "Great, a girl! Now you can be done!" As if we had been trying all this time for a girl, and the last 3 or so boys were a bitter disappointment. Grrr. So I sweetly said, "Oh, I'm not sure about that! We weren't trying for a girl--just a baby!" {relative's embarrassed laugh} Sigh. I have been counting the delightful little girls that I know, however, so I am much more encouraged about rearing one myself! Bob and Zorak are definitely on the same page.

And Pam, I am so glad to see you comment on here! I never knew you all had a pool growing up!