Tuesday, December 11, 2007

An Early Christmas Present

This time of year there are always discussions in the paper, on message boards and so on about what kind of gifts women hate to get. The general thought seems to be that women don't like practical gifts; however, this is NOT me. Bring on the practical gifts!!

I have wanted for a long time a collapsible rolling file cart from Office Depot. You may wonder why that particular item has caused such yearning in me. I wanted it for the library. We check out many, many books at a time, and I have always carried them in a big Land's End tote bag. Recently we have also had to branch out into 2 small auxiliary tote bags that the boys carry because we were just plum out of room in the big bag, and my arm was about to fall off from hauling it around. A long time ago I read a thread on the Well Trained Mind board where many people recommended this rolling crate thing, and it sounded like a great idea to me.

So last night Nathan and I prepared to go to the library when he called me out to the garage to "look at something". There, in the front seat and with a red bow on, was this cart! I was so excited! Bob decided he should go ahead and give it to me so that I could actually use it, instead of just waiting for Christmas. It was so nice! I just wheeled my heavy load right in! I know everyone was looking jealously at it--or looking at it anyways, LOL. They were probably thinking, "Why does any lady need to get out so many books?!"

3 comments:

Johanna said...

I'm with you on the practical gifts. Who says we can't enjoy something that makes our everyday life easier. I think sometimes I am so caught up in the practical that I don't even stop to think of other stuff I may want. What would I use it for anyway. LOL. I love the tote. One of these days I am going to feel like things are settled enough around here that we can get back to music lessons (I promised the boys Jan), libraries, and other such activities. Maybe, when the boys mattresses are no longer in the hallway. HAHA. Congrats on your wonderfully practical early Christmas gift and kudos to Bob for thinking to give it to you like that.

Anonymous said...

Claire, I love your gift! I am all for practical these days. This year I wanted a juicer and Lowe's gift cards. I get lots of looks at the library as well... especially when I bring the laundry basket!
Merry Christmas!
Jenna

Beverly said...

I love it! What a great idea! I'm thinking that may be on my Christmas list for next year...