Thursday, December 06, 2007

Finally--SNOW!!!


When we woke up yesterday, we were surprised to see snow on the ground! Jonathan has been asking oh, I don't know, probably at least once a day when it was going to snow. I told the boys not to get too excited because I was sure it wouldn't stick around, but it did! We got about 2 inches, enough to make 4 boys very happy!

The boys had a "school date" over at the L's house while Anna and I were at the dentist, and as we were coming home, they were excitedly talking about playing in the snow. Their friends, the 4 McC boys, were coming to our house at 4:00 while their mom had a doctor's appointment, and they really wanted to play outside with the McCs. I sort of stammered around because, I tell you, it is hard enough dealing with 4 boys, snow suits, gloves, boots, hats, etc. I really can't fathom doing it for 8 boys between the ages of 3 and 10! Finally I told them they could play outside after lunch, but that we would probably all stay inside to play at 4:00.

After lunch, Christine called to say that her doctor apointment had been rescheduled. She didn't want to impose, but her husband, Craig was home (he had been going to accompany her to the appointment). Her boys were really looking forward to playing with ours, and would I mind if Craig brought their boys over and took them all sledding or something? Oh my!!!! I was so excited, not to mention my boys!

We began the long process of finding which boots and gloves fit which boy this year and suiting up, and the boys went outside at 2:30. The McCs came about 3:30, after their piano lessons, and they all disappeared to the hill at the end of our cul-de-sac. I kept sticking my head outside every so often to hear squeals of delight emmanating from the bottom of the hill, but I didn't see them again until after 5:00. They were red-cheeked, sopping wet, and cold, but they had a wonderful time! Between both our families, we had 7 sleds. Jonathan and Joel (the 2 youngest) had tried riding down by themselves, but they were a little scared. Then they found our 2-person sled, and they rode down together the rest of the time. The older boys had tales of thrilling rides, near-misses, and spectacular crashes. I was so thankful Craig was there to prevent any fatalities or extreme boyish foolishness!

Meanwhile, I had sat in my warm, quiet kitchen, painting chocolate molds and listening to Christmas carols. We were all happy, LOL.

After dinner, Nathan cleaned up and collapsed on the couch. "I'm not moving from here until bedtime! My legs feel like spaghetti!" Ahhh--nice words for a mom to hear. They all slept like rocks last night!

5 comments:

Johanna said...

We got over 4 inches and the boys were asking to go outside at 730am. Caden and I have been sick so I wouldn't let them out until all the school work was done and Caden was down for his nap (that way I didn't have to fight with Caden about not going out).

They decided that we definitely need sleds around here because we have lots of hills. Unfortunately we were not really ready for the first snow either with gloves and hats or with sleds (being from Florida we never needed them before). We now have gloves hats and boots all around. Yeah!

Pilot Mom said...

So that was LAUGHTER and GLEE I heard wafting over the Rocky Mtns from yonder way!! ;) It sounds like EVERYONE was happy. That's good!

I think sledding times should definitely be labeled male bonding time for all boys! ;) Glad Craig could step in and do the honors.

So sorry to hear about Anna's tooth. I never really took any notice of it, I think because I never really heard you and your mom talking about it. I'll be praying that it hasn't damaged her adult tooth.

We had rain today which melted all of our 10"+ of snow. However, we have more snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow. That last storm was really an anomoly here in the valley. The mtns were supposed to get dumped on, just rain in the valley with "maybe" 2" of snow...It was a wonderful day for us to decorate our Christmas tree with Sarah.

The Brooks Family said...

Wow - what fun!! You'd think you guys lived around the corner from us with all that white stuff :-) So hilarious about the kids being on their best behavior in public - loved the story about Anna.

And yes, I do blame my significant loss of brain function to Henry's arrival - at least telling myself that makes it less disturbing!

Anonymous said...

It is 80 degrees here. I love it.
Although tomorrow will be in the 40's. Crazy Texas weather. It did snow on Thanksgiving. Mel

Beverly said...

Enjoy that snow for us Las Vegans who will likely not have any! :-)