Sunday, December 02, 2007

Arts and Crafts Weekend

Nathan really enthusiastically jumps into things. Right now it's Christmas. Friday after Anna's well-baby appointment, we stopped by the cake and candy supply shop to get stuff to make chocolates. He was ready as soon as we got home to dig right in and get messy. We got our Christmas tree up Friday night, which meant he started thinking about what presents he could make for everyone in the family. This led his thoughts to the clay that we bought at the teacher supply shop when we were back in Ohio, so he got that out Saturday morning and started "sculpting". And of course, whenever one boy starts something like that, all the other ones join in, so yesterday was "clay day".

Nathan's next thoughts turned to sewing, so Saturday afternoon he asked me to get out the sewing machine and show him how to use it because he wanted to make "something" for me. I was busy dealing with a mountain of laundry, plus clay all over the place, so I really was not in the mood, but eventually he prevailed. He spent a good deal of time practicing sewing straight lines, and then he and Bob went off to Walmart to find some fabric. They came back with a soft and fuzzy red throw--everything else was "not thick enough" for their purposes. Eventually it came to light that Nathan wanted to make Bob and me new Christmas stockings.

This morning we did not got to church because Anna was running a fever (I think from her shots), Grace was really congested and coughing, and I had a sore throat. We decided the better part of valor was staying home and not exposing the church to us! So Nathan and Bob got to work on the stocking project, using an existing stocking as a general pattern. Nathan did all the sewing, and I must say, he turned out a very nice looking stocking! I was most impressed! I'll have to take a picture and post it. The blanket was just the right sort of material needed. Nathan sewed up a second stocking, and then he moved on to painting the clay pieces from yesterday while the other boys took their turns on the sewing machine. Who would have thought such a non-crafty person such as myself would turn out boys interested in sewing?! The other boys also did their painting, although Caleb came back for even more sewing.

Tomorrow we are supposed to start the chocolate making, and I am hoping I feel better for it. It was great having Bob here this weekend to do all this crafty stuff with them. I don't really feel like doing that stuff even when I'm feeling great, LOL. I am such a slacker mom because the mess is so not worth it to me. But obviously it is worth it to the boys, so I'm glad they had fun. I suppose it is wholly appropriate that December be "craft month". Can I get it all out of the way for the whole year in one month?! Just kidding . . . sort of.

4 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

We are eager to see the finished products through pics! :)

I must say I think like you do about the mess not being worth it, which I am sure is the wrong attitude to have. How neat though that Bob was a part in it all. These are the times the boys will remember as being such "great times" when they look back on their childhood!

Some of the things Pilot remembers as so cool I have to stop and smile because at the time I thought it wouldn't make an impact on him at all.

Yummmm...are some of those chocolates going to make it out Utah way? :D

Johanna said...

December must be craft month because my boys have been beging to get the craft stuff out for a week or so. I have been sick of course and with a sick baby and Chris out of town. SO, I have been in no mood for craft stuff. They have been left to their own means and I'm not too sure they are happy about it.


Of course they are just getting ready for the gift making. A few years ago the boys started making Christmas gifts for everyone. They have a lot of fun and get to give something without it just being mommy spending more money on some thing. I guess I will need to find a "local" craft shop to buy supplies this year.

Hope you guys get to feeling better. Zeke and I are about 80% I think, but Caden is having a rough time of it.

Allison said...

That is awesome. Of course, loving crafty things myself might make me think that, but any man that knows how to sew is accomplished, indeed. How great that your sons don't have a fear of something domestic. You are raising well-rounded men.

So, on a different note, I finally had the chance to go out and buy the raspberry leaf tea. I also splurged on the pills in case I couldn't stomach the tea (not a tea person). I had my first cup last night and it wasn't as bad as I had expected. Not sure I'll ever work up to the 3 cups a day the package recommends, but something's better than nothing, right?

I remember reading about your chocolate adventures last year. Did you say they were easy as well? I'm always on the lookout for nice goodies to make (I love baking).

Bob and Claire said...

Well, they are not hard, but they are definitely time-consuming! It is SO nice to have helpers finally! Also, it takes a lot of stuff you have to buy that you don't use for anything else--all the molds, etc., plus the weird ingrediants to make creamy fillings (like fondant sugar, invertase, dried egg whites, invert sugar, etc.). I took some classes at a cake and candy supply store in Co. Springs when we lived there. I don't know that I would have ever tried it without seeing how it is done! : )