Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Test

I made it through the 3 hour test. Yay! No problems with traffic or blood draws, either. I left here about 6:50, and I got there about 8:00, which is really good for that time of day.

They do things a bit differently at this lab. They drew blood to test my fasting blood sugar level, and they wouldn't let me drink the nasty orange sugar stuff until after that had come back. So at around 8:30, the tech called me up to the desk to tell me that my fasting levels were a bit high--"105", which of course meant nothing to me. He told me that if it was lower than 105, then they would just go ahead and give me the drink, but over 105, he had to clear it with a doctor. The doctor said fine, but still--that's not a good omen at all. And it meant I didn't start the 3 hour part until about 8:45. Grrr.

I was done about 11:45, having enjoyed a quiet time of reading, doing crossword puzzles, and starting to write our Christmas letter. I think people must not come in a lot the week of Thanksgiving, because Bethesda was really not crowded at all! When I was taking my 1-hour test last week, people were having to wait for over an hour for a blood draw, but today there was hardly any wait at all for everyone else. (Of course, I got to take my numbers from the "VIP 0-7 and above or glucose tolerance test" button and go straight to the head of the line!)

I still haven't heard anything from the hospital, but that does not necessarily mean anything at all. The tech wasn't sure the results would get to the doctor this afternoon. She will only call me if I fail, so I'll just have to wait another day and see.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Been thinking about you and the test -- praying that it all went well.