Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Day Off

I'm not feeling so well today. Grace was sick last week--she vomited for a few hours Wednesday night, and has just been "off her feed" the past few days. She doesn't seem to have any real symptoms, like a fever or diarrhea or anything, but she's not eating too much, and she's definitely not her usual perky self. Of course, when you only weigh 20 pounds and are 20 months old, not eating much is not a good thing. She has a well-baby appointment on Tuesday, so I will talk to the doctor then if she still seems this way. I'm assuming I have picked up whatever her bug was, minus the vomiting.

I worked at our co-op last Tuesday (and will be there for the next 3 weeks as well), and the thing is, Grace has gotten sick just about every. single. time she has been in the nursery. I guess the church we meet at, which is a very large one, doesn't rigorously clean their baby toys or something.

Anyhow, last night I was just sort of queasy, and I was that way again this morning. Sort of like when you're first pregnant, and there's just that persistant edge of queasiness. Hey, maybe I'm pregnant! I should test or something. So I went ahead and ate my usual gestational diabetes breakfast of 1/2 c. bran flakes, milk, and a hard-boiled egg, which did not really agree with my digestional tract. After spending some time in the bathroom, I told Bob I didn't feel like I could go to church, and I went back to bed. I slept for a few more hours, and I felt better as long as I laid in bed. As soon as I got up, though, I felt queasy again, so I have pretty much just laid around today. This has been surprisingly hard to do. I know there are so many things to do, plus I didn't exercise, which is a huge thing for me at this point. The guilt! And what on earth are you supposed to eat when you are having tummy issues and have gestational diabetes? The BRAT diet is nothing but carbs. Finally I decided on a banana and half of a cup of yogurt. My numbers were fine after that, which was a relief.

I'm feeling better, so I guess I'll eat a normal dinner. Both Bob and I were supposed to work in the nursery during evening church tonight, but Bob said he would just do it. I tell you, the temptation to try to get something done with everyone out of the house is really great, but I am just going to have to resist. I think maybe the reason I'm not feeling well today is that I have been overdoing it a bit, what with all the exercising, doctor appointments, taking the Christmas stuff down, and huge trip to the commissary, plus normal stuff like school and laundry. Next week is shaping up to be another busy one, with 2 trips to Bethesda, helping at co-op, plus various other little things. Just a little over 4 weeks before my due date! No--I am not going to think about all the stuff I need to accomplish before that . . . I am going back to bed.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Oh, Claire -- yes, yes, it sounds like you should be resting! I have the clothes all boxed and ready to take to you. With your busy schedule I'd love to deliver them to you. In fact, I was ready to jump in the car Saturday to bring them (of course I would have called first), but Tim mentioned that he will be out your way on Friday. He would be willing to swing by and drop them off at your house. Also, we also have some princess megablocks -- would you be interested in them? I'll get in touch with you early this week.

Beverly said...

Hope you're feeling better! The countdown is on, isn't it? My roomie from Cedarville is expecting her 3rd baby about 2 weeks or so after your due date, and I'm 29 weeks now, so not too far off! I'm hoping for an early delivery like we had with Kenna...I suspect this little boy is bigger than our others, and I don't know if I can do what you and Megan do when it comes to having big babies, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Claire...I think that sometime's God allows us to get sick to force us to take a break from "normal" life, even if it's just for a LITTLE bit...Glad you're feeling better, and I'm praying for a safe and healthy delivery of your newest addition! Jennifer Moffat (from TNT)