Wednesday, February 11, 2009

3 Days Old

So Faith is now all of 3 days old. Since we got discharged early, she had a follow-up doctor's appointment this morning. She is down to 7 pounds, 13 ounces, but my milk came in yesterday, so I am sure she'll start gaining it back. She also has a touch of jaundice, but again, that's par for the course for our fair-skinned babies. That's the good thing about it being #7--you pretty much know what to expect, so it's not too worrisome. The only thing that is potentially worrisome and different from everyone else is that she has not passed her newborn hearing screening in her right ear. That's the test where they bounce sound waves off her eardrum--the waves go in, but they haven't been to be read coming back out again. At the hospital, the doctor said it was because she was still so young--not even 24 hours old when they did the test there--and she still had too much fluid and vernix in her ear. And that's pretty much what they said again today. Still, that's weird. We'll have it done again when we go back for her 2 week well-baby check.


Faith has been busy being loved on here at home. She also has spent some time in the snazzy swing from Johanna, which makes Anna very happy, LOL. She loves that swing!

I don't know if there has ever been a baby surrounded by as many people who adore her and want to hold her! There is always a line whenever I'm done nursing. I am constantly having to shoo people back while I'm nursing, or all her brothers and sisters would practically be sitting on me!

Anna is still so thrilled to have a real, live baby in the house. She constantly carries her baby around, and she really imitates whatever the person holding Faith is doing. Here my mom was holding her, so Anna got a blanket (in this case, a super-soft one that was a present from Elizabeth) and very carefully arranged herself and her babydoll so that they looked like Grandma and Faith, with lots of sideways glances, just to make sure things were perfect!

Faith is a good nurser, and she's been a pretty happy and calm baby. She's not much of a fusser so far anyways. I'm feeling good except for my milk coming in. I think this is my least favorite part of having a newborn. I love the first 2 days, when you feel good and aren't yet engorged! Faith is still wanting to sleep more during the day and wake up and be more alert during the night, but she is improving. We're all just enjoying snuggling her cuddly little baby self, and rubbing her soft little baby head! She's a sweetie!

7 comments:

Lynnea said...

I love the picture of Anna sitting next to your mom. That is so precious. When Ella was born I would find Helena hiding behind a piece of furniture with a doll's head hidden under her shirt like she was nursing. She would get so embarrassed when I would catch her doing it. LOL

Johanna said...

Just wanted to let you know that Zeke did not pass his hearing test on the first day or the third day when we had to go back. He did not pass it at the 2 week appointment either. We had to go in for a "level 2 " hearing test when he was 6 weeks old. He passed that test and we have never had problems. We were told at the time that there were a lot of probelms and inconsistencies with the newborn test.

petersonclan said...

Claire-

I am sure she will pass the hearing test, but IF she does not, Mercy does not have hearing in her bad ear, and the audiologists said it is really no big deal. She will develop normally with speech, etc. even with just one. Hope that reassures you!

Carri

Anonymous said...

I am AMAZED that despite JUST having a baby, and having 6 other kids at home to take care of, you still manage to blog...WOW, you AMAZE me, Claire. All your kids were pretty tickled at TNT when asked about their new little sister! SO cute! Take care and can't wait to see you again!
Jennifer

Unknown said...

Wow, Faith looks just like Bob. I will call her "little Bob". LOL!!

Beverly said...

So cute!! I expect Kenna will be a lot like Anna, wanting to hold her baby dolls and also love on her little brother when he arrives! I know Charis was definitely like that when the boys were born. Glad things are going well for you!

Joy said...

The picture of Anna and your mom is so cute - what a great picture to hold on to!! Congratulations on Faith - I'm a little behind in reading your blog. I'm glad all is going well. She's adorable!