Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Decluttering

Yesterday I embarked on a big decluttering project. Well, let's just say I actually decluttered yesterday, and now we'll see if anything else gets done. I have been itching to declutter. I feel hemmed in by the amount of stuff we have, and the amount of time it takes to keep it all organized and put away (anyone who comes to visit can see that I do not actually take all that time, LOL), and it's very frustrating. It's been 4 1/2 years since we moved, which is obviously too long. We have accumulated a lot of stuff in those years!

My biggest problem was where to start. Finally Nathan and Luke took matters into their own hands, and a few days ago, Nathan went through their closet and pulled out a bunch of shirts they didn't want anymore. These were strategically left in a pile in the middle of the floor, so I decided to start on the closets in the boys' rooms. It took me several hours, but I went through both closets. It confirmed what I already knew--we have way too many clothes. I collected 2 garbage bags of stuff to donate, and 2 large tubs of clothes to consign at our big local consignment sales. I should probably just donate those items as well, but I made over $100 at the fall consignment sales just selling clothes, so it's hard to pass up that opportunity. Unfortunately, that means that the winter clothes will have to be stored until the Fall, so my thrifty nature is warring with my desire to clear everything out, LOL. We'll see. If we do move in the summer, those things are NOT moving with us!

Speaking of moving, Bob said he thinks we might not get a new assignment this spring. He looked at his records, and it looks like our clock was restarted when we got the one year extension last February. So that means it looks like we just arrived here last year. But who knows--anything is possible.

I have decided that I need to think as if we for sure are moving this summer, because otherwise I am not motivated to do the decluttering that is really necessary. Now my only question is where I should work on next . . . I know I have 3 tubs of maternity clothes in my closet, but there are lots of things that I haven't worn at all in the past 3 pregnancies. Those are on their way out! The basement storage room also needs work. I need a place to put the tubs of clothes. My only other question is where I'll find the time . . . I just have to tell myself that we're moving this summer!

3 comments:

Johanna said...

I prefer to hope that you are not moving this summer. I have really enjoyed getting to spend time with you and your family since we have lived so close. But, if you must think that way to trick your mind into finding time to accomplish a task. Then, I guess you must. In truth -- we will really miss you if you all move away, but as with all military families we have come to expect it and live with it as well as long distance friendships.

Pilot Mom said...

Alas, Claire, it MUST be the "Claire gene" from whence we get this malady! ;) I, too, am feeling just like you. I have cleaned out 2 drawers in my kitchen (more to do) and my long cupboard in the washroom off the kitchen, along with the washroom in general. Next I began on my closet in the bedroom, and UJ's closet just got finished. My next area to begin with is the room we affectionately call your mom and dad's room! :)

Beverly said...

I know the feeling! I got rid of a bunch of maternity clothes...with a bit of nostalgia, since they were what I wore with Charis and the boys. But they just aren't, um, "hip" anymore, and not that I'm a fashion queen, but the newer styles are much more flattering somehow, ha! I'm also giving away most of Kenna's clothes. We've been so blessed with clothes, and I just don't think it's right to hang onto them during a move when other people can be using them.