Tuesday, July 10, 2012

And Then There Were Five . . .

We're down to just 5 kids this week--the younger 5.  Nathan is away at AO, and after that is done, he'll be working on support staff at WSS for 2 more weeks, so he won't be home for awhile.  Luke and Caleb are at different Camp Calebs, and we'll pick them up Friday.  We'll at least get to see Nathan for lunch when we pick up Luke and Caleb, so that will be nice. 

It's definitely a step back to not have any older kids at home to help!  I have gotten so used to being able to leave Micah at home napping when I drop off other kids!  It is easy to forget that stage of life, when you are needed by so many people without bigger kids to help with the burden, so this is a good reminder. 

Another thing that is different this week is that we are eating less food.  A lot less.  Wow--leftovers.  A blast from the past!

One more thing that is different is that house is a lot more peaceful.  I don't want anyone to get the false impression from my last post that we live in some happyland where all is loving and peaceful!  Luke and Caleb have always been my ones that butt heads the most, but it has really reached a breaking point the last several weeks.  I don't know if it's the heat, the lack of structure of the regular schoolyear, too many computer games, or what, but they have been at each other constantly.  There's pleny of blame to go around!  Both parties take offense too easily, poke at each other's known weak spots, are too interested in the other's business and not their own, and are just generally annoying to each other.  Add in Nathan's occasional irritable and tempermental teenage attitude, and you can get an idea of what it's been like around here lately! I am not sure exactly what I need to do differently, but I know heart attitudes need to change.  I have been praying that the Lord will speak to each of them during this week away at camp, in particular about their relationships with each other.  I have told them many times that they can only control their actions and their responses, and in fact they are accountable to God for those things.  I've been trying to think of some kind o project that Luke and Caleb would need to do together, but I've drawn a blank.  Anyone have any other ideas?  In general, though, people need to focus on honoring others, and that's just not been happening lately.

So that's where we're at right now.  I have a long list of things to (hopefully) do this week, and I am slowly making some progress.  It's cooler (and we have electricity--not taking that for granted!!), so that has made life a lot more pleasant! 

No comments: