Saturday, February 23, 2013

Third Day Concert!



Bob and I had a date to the Third Day concert Thursday night.  It was the opening night of their "Miracle" Tour.  To be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure I would enjoy it all that much.  I mean, I really like Third Day, and we have a lot of their CDs, but the whole group experience thing, crowds, loud noise--I wasn't sure about all that.  And I can't even remember the last time I went to a concert.  It might have been our first actual date, where we went to a concert at the Nutter Center after the base chapel volunteer appreciation banquet, back in the spring of 1992!  I have no recollection of what group was playing, but I do remember some ladies singing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", so I think it was some sort of oldies/patriotic music group.  Anyhow . . . suffice to say I've not been a part of the live music scene of late, LOL.

We got there just a few minutes late, and we even got a good parking space, so that was nice.  We walked in and sat down (we had great seats!) and the opening act, Josh Wilson, was already singing.  We didn't recognize his name right away, but we soon realized that the Christian radio station plays his songs, so we DID actually know him.  He was great!  We both really enjoyed him, and I started thinking, "Hey, concerts are fun!  Why don't we go to more of them?"

Then the second guy came onstage, and he was definitely MUCH louder, LOL.  His name was Colton Dixon, and apparently he had been on American Idol this past year.  I wouldn't know, since I don't watch that show.  I definitely felt like an old fuddy-duddy, snickering at his pencil jeans and weirdly spiked hair, and wishing the music was quieter and the bass wasn't so heavy, LOL.  He seemed like a nice boy, though (albeit with really skinny, non-athletic legs).  I just won't be going to his concerts, LOL.

After intermission, Third Day came out.  Everyone was on their feet, cheering, but I just stayed sitting down, because, well, I'm not really all that outwardly excitable, and it just feels, I don't know, awkward or something.  Bob stayed sitting down too, which was fine until the couple sitting next to us decided to move down to the empty row right in front of us.  When they did that, suddenly we couldn't see anymore sitting down!  Bob said something to them, I was embarrassed, they ended up moving down some so they didn't block our view, and I ended up trading seats with Bob and standing up, so it ended up fine.  I felt awkward, but it was okay.  And then Mac Powell, bless his heart, told everyone to sit down, so *whew* I didn't have to awkwardly stand up the whole time!  It got me thinking though--in a big group of people, my tendancy is to back away and almost be outside the experience, looking in.  Which is not to say I'm not enjoying it!  I just don't outwardly express it or something.  Anyway, I was worrying about being in heaven, with thousands upon thousands, worshipping God, like it says in Revelation.  Surely I would be able to enjoy a group experience there, focusing on God, not feeling outside it all, right?! 

Third Day was absolutely amazing.  We both so enjoyed all the songs, and Mac Powell sharing in between songs.  It's hard to believe they've been a band for over 20 years, but they definitely were so comfortable up on stage!  And you know, gradually I became a lot more comfortable in the crowd--I even clapped along some, LOL.  It was like being in a worship service, and by the end I wasn't so worried that there was something wrong with me, that I couldn't enjoy group experiences!   So Bob and I had a really fun time together, and a really meaningful time of worship as well! 

Back at home, Nathan and Luke gave Drew a bottle, got everyone ice cream, and put the younger 5 to bed.  It is soooo nice to have responsible in-house babysitting!  What a blessing!

No comments: