Monday, October 03, 2016

College Memories

I had a super-fun and relaxing weekend--I took a quick trip to Ohio!  I flew out early Friday morning, and had an absolutely peaceful, quiet flight.  I started reading The Boys in the Boat, which we gave to Nathan for a Christmas present last year.  He brought it back to me when he came home in May, and I haven't gotten around to it until now.  I figured it would be the perfect book for a weekend like this, and it really was.  What a fantastic book!  I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.  Something tells me those boys would not be crying about safe spaces, refusing to honor the flag and national anthem, etc.  Such a good book!

My parents picked me up from the airport.  Then Amy picked me up from their house, and we had a long, long lunch at Panera where we caught up on as many things as we could think of, and then we rambled around Half Price Books for a bit.  Then it was off to Youngs!
At Youngs we met Tim and Amy P, and their 2 girls, plus Amanda L.  It was so fun to see them again!  It was also really, really weird to not have any little kids at our table.  Can you even really go to Youngs without kids?!?  I felt like we needed to borrow one from someone else, lol.  I ate all my onion rings and ice cream without sharing any, and I didn't need any wet wipes.  Weird!
Afterwards Tim took some pictures, but we did NOT visit the animals.  We did, however, stop off to see this big pumpkin, "Humongous Gus".  He was big.  Also really ugly.
Saturday morning I did not go to the homecoming parade because I opted to sleep in.  I should have, because Amy's mom was the grand marshal, being honored for her 30 years of teaching at the university, since she is retiring at the end of this year.  I did make it there in time for a special alumni chapel, which I really enjoyed.  Then Amy and I toured Amanda's room, since she lives in the same dorm we used to live in, all those years ago!  Then we went out for pizza with Amy's husband Jason and her mom.  Lunch with the grand marshal!!
The university was having a special reunion for the science and math departments.  I double-majored in biology and math, and Amy and Jason were both biology majors, so after a quick trip to the bookstore, since I no longer have any clothing with the logo, we headed over to that building.  It was a sparse turnout, but it was fun to talk to some of the current professors and get caught up on where all our old professors had gone.  Then one of the chem profs volunteered to take us on a tour of the newly built building of chem labs.  Of course we took him up on the offer!  Wow, what a nice set-up they have now!  Amy and I are in the organic chem lab, where there is a hood for every student!  Jason was interested in all the lab machines, since he sells those for a living.
We even peeked in the stock room.  All those neatly organized shelves--be still my heart!  Clearly I need to turn a room into a stock room, and forget the old armoire I currently have everything in!

After we finished, we headed over to a different building where there was a reception honoring Amy's mom, as well as the professional communication program that Amy's mom built from the ground up 30 years ago.  There were a lot of alumni there, and during an open-mic time, it was truly special to hear their testimonies of how Amy's mom had been a mentor and spiritual leader/mother for them during their time there, and even after they graduated.  Her students have always been like her own children, and you could really sense that.  It was just a really special time!
Afterwards it was time to say goodbye to Amy after a much-too-short visit!  I didn't decide to come until about 2 weeks ago.  It just seemed like too much of a hassle, but I'm really glad I came.  I've never gone to any homecoming activities for my university because October just is never a good time (is there ever a good time to get away, lol??).  But it was really good to be back on campus, and especially in chapel.  And of course it was great to see my parents!  

Bob held down the fort at home.  He didn't even have much help because Luke was away in Connecticut for a mock trial tournament, and Saturday morning Caleb, Jonathan, and Anna had another far-away cross-country meet.  Fortunately another parent could drive them, since they had to leave at 5:30 AM!  

It's taken me all day to get back in the swing of things.  I had the best of intentions of getting this week's lessons for Rivendell all finished before leaving, but that didn't happen.  Sigh.  In fact, I need to go finish up an outline for biology . . . back to real life, for sure, but it was certainly nice to have a brief breather!

1 comment:

Becky Juett Miller said...

Sounds like a fun relaxing time with friends and family.