Sunday, September 24, 2006

Would someone come visit us?!

Please?!!! We need about 2 days notice. That is because our house is so cluttered right now, and that's how long I think it would take us to get ready. All flat surfaces in the kitchen are covered in miscellaneous paperwork, the floor needs to be mopped, there is a castle set up in the family room instead of the play room, there are books and more papers on the couch--it's cluttered. And I am finding that I am not at all motivated on my own to really clean it up. I want to snap my fingers and have it be done. Sigh. So come over--motivate me!

Let's see--I haven't been blogging much lately. Don't worry though! You haven't missed much of real importance! Yesterday was a busy day. I went to a MOPS consignment sale while the boys were at soccer. This is a big deal around here--hundreds of consigners, if not over a thousand. I actually consigned some stuff this year (and if you know me well, you can guess where the stuff came from--not from anyone who might actually be reading my blog, LOL!). I picked up the stuff that didn't sell in the afternoon, and out of 63 or so items, I had 17 not sell. One thing I forgot to put a price on (airhead! LOL). I am always amazed at how different people's taste in clothing are. The best part of yesterday was that the time between when the soccer games finished (next door to the sale) and when I could pick up my unsold stuff was only about one hour, and so Bob took the kids home in the van, and I WENT OUT TO LUNCH ALL BY MYSELF!! Wow, that was a luxury! I went to Quiznos and had a regular turkey bacon guacamole sandwich on wheat bread which I did not share with anyone. And I only used one napkin. How nice to just sit with my own thoughts, using my mouth only for eating and not for talking.

This afternoon after church we went on a wild goose car hunt. The credit union was having a sale down at the George Mason Patriot Center (with THOUSANDS of new AND used cars priced under invoice!!), so we thought we go take a look at Siennas to see if they really were cheaper there. As we parked, a guy in a Sienna drove by and asked if he could give us a ride to the sale. "Umm, no" I said, thinking, "That's odd--why would we ride with a perfect stranger somewhere." Duh, was I clueless. Soon after, a guy in a golf cart drives up and asks the same thing. We ask how you get to the actual event, and he points vaguely off in the distance, in a different direction than we were preparing to walk. So we assume that it must be a long ways off, and the event is providing shuttle service. However the golf cart is very small, so I am not sure how we can fit, but the guy is sure we can do it. So Caleb, Jonathan, the stroller, and I ride up front with "Charter" (that's his name, LOL), while Nathan, Luke, and Bob ride in the back, facing backwards, with Bob holding Anna. Yeah, that's got to be safe. And to think I didn't think we'd all fit in the Sienna! Well, the guy turned out to be a Nissan salesman, so he delivers us to where the Nissans are, which is a long ways off, pretty much where he was vaguely pointing. After looking at a Quest, (which he told us on the drive was big enough for 8, but in fact only has 7 seats no matter what), we wandered off to find the Toyota lot. Eventually we found it--practically right across the street from where we parked, where we were intending to walk in the first place, but a good deal away from the Nissan part. And then they had no 8 person Siennas there at all. Ah well. So, to recap, we could have ridden over with the first guy, who I now realize was a Toyota shuttle driver, and not some weirdo stalking parking lots to kidnap large families, and he would have taken us right there. Or we could have walked in the direction we were planning and found it right away on our own. Instead we let someone "help" us, and it took a lot longer in the end! A good object lesson for the kids on how sometimes people help you out of their own agenda, not yours. I told them I felt like Jill in The Silver Chair--I didn't recognize the signs, so it cost us lots of time, LOL! But we are no further along in our car search, however many object lessons we may have had. I think Bob and I are both convinced now of the wisdom of doing all our car shopping on the internet, LOL.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we can during our move to Jax!

Bob and Claire said...

Please do--we have TONS of room--6 bedrooms! : )

Dy said...

Oh, I laughed SO hard. This is something I'd do, but I'd probably look at Zorak and whisper, "We never speak of this again, okay?" You're a good sport.

We had company Saturday. The house looked AWESOME, but I was absolutely exhausted. I hope you get company soon. It really does wonders for the momentum of the house.

Dy