Sunday, May 03, 2009

Birthday Weekend

Well, the birthday weekend is over. We celebrated Grace's birthday Friday night, but Bob's birthday was the next day, Saturday (it's on your calendar, Aunt Claire!). He celebrated by getting up early to go to men's group at church, then coming home and making the kids lunch while I went to a baby shower for Elizabeth, and then taking all the kids but Faith swimming! It was so nice of him to stay with the kids while I went to the shower, because I had such a lovely time there, even though it wasn't very "celebratory" for him!

People on Facebook were asking what his cake was. I particularly liked Amy's suggestion of a 12-passenger van cake, LOL. Very appropriate, since that was definitely the big "gift" for this year! But the truth is, Bob didn't get his own cake, I am sad to say. One cake is about all I can handle for a weekend. We had our church small group meet here tonight, so I made one of Bob's favorite desserts for that--chocolate-filled oatmeal walnut bars. MUCH, much better than cake.

Right before small group started, we finally got around to opening Grace's presents. Friday night Bible study was at our house, and we were rushing around trying to get dinner cleaned up when people started arriving, so there was no time. Then there really wasn't a good opportunity yesterday either. Fortunately, at 2 she has no concept of what should happen for a birthday, so she didn't know what she was missing, LOL. She was happy to open them this afternoon, and she got some fun things, like a little princess puzzle, a talking "piggy bank" with big plastic coins, and a set of fake food that you "cut" apart with the wooden knife. All the kids at small group enjoyed her new presents too!

Now we have one more month until the next birthday, which is Jonathan's, on June 2. He has ben counting down the days since March! Nathan and I are trying to talk him into a "joint cake", like they had last year. Nathan is pushing for an aircraft carrier, but Jonathan is not sure. I think he is just being difficult, since he knows Nathan wants it, LOL.

6 comments:

Johanna said...

Maybe Jonathan could have an airplane on the Aircraft Carrier. Can't forget the airplanes. I so wish I could do cakes like you. Just Icing a cake frustrates me.

Bob and Claire said...

Yes, for the airplanes, I was thinking I would buy some fondant and try to mold them out of it. We'll see how that turns out!

Sandra said...

I was wondering if Bob was going to get a cake for his birthday, as well. :) Love to see all of your cakes. I really wouldn't even know where to begin!

Unknown said...

Where did you get the food that you cut with a wooden knife? I went to the annual Kidkraft sale, hoping to get E. some wooden food. No such luck. I came home with a doll house instead. I can't pass up a good sale.

Bob and Claire said...

Mom told me about your doll house! That sounds so neat! Mom actually got the wooden food, and it was from Amazon--Melissa and Doug, I think. Grace LOVES it. She's in there, cutting away now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I will have to buy that for E. E. loves the doll house. I was so tempted to buy one for the girls, but it would be hard to transport. If only we lived closer.