Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hmmmm . . .

Trying to think of something to say here . . . I feel like I should post because I haven't posted since Tuesday, but I'm not being inspired by anything! No one has done anything particularly funny, nothing is new, and while we've been busy, it's been with a mishmash of things not particularly newsworthy in and of themselves.

One thing we have been busy with is cleaning. Our neighbors called Thursday morning to say they were going to hold a garage sale this morning, if we wanted to be in on that. I knew there were things we could stand to get rid of, so I called off school for the day, and we thoroughly cleaned the garage, making a pile in the middle of stuff to go. The boys and I brought down our old double stroller from the shelves over our garage door, and Anna and Grace thought it was perfect for their dolls. But double stroller technology has actually come a long way since we received that one as a gift when Luke was born, and when Grace was born, we bought a much newer one off craigslist, which is much improved. So we definitely didn't need two double strollers, even if one could be used as a doll stroller, LOL.

One good reason to weed through junk is that we found out we are on the fall move list a few weeks ago. Of course, the email was vague,and ended with something like "don't do anything like sell your house because you may NOT actually receive an assignment", so we'll see what happens. So far, nothing. And even if we did get another assignment, we might turn it down and stay here. Things are going really well, as far as homeschooling, our church, and our friends, and it is hard to think about starting all over with finding co-ops and other opportunities as Nathan gets older and goes into junior high and high school. But it is always motivating to go through junk with an eye of "would I really want to move with this, and if not, why not get rid of it now?!"

The garage sale was this morning, and we sold pretty much everything we put out. Yay! Plenty more room in the old garage now! I was so reminded of the fun Amy and I used to have when we would hold garage sales together back in Ohio! One of us would be a "pretend shopper", and look at things and ask questions about them. If you brought attention to something and acted like you were thinking about buying it, then the second you put it down, someone else would snatch it up! Human nature. Anyhow, we would have a great time people-watching and seeing what things people will buy when they think they are geting a bargain.

We actually moved all our stuff down to our neighbor's driveway this morning so she could watch it for us, and we left mid-morning to go to Zachary L.'s homeschool graduation. He is going to go to Cedarville, my old alma mater, for college. I'm sure he'll have a great time there, but we will miss him here, especially the boys! Bible study night just won't be the same for them.

This afternoon another neighbor had a big party. "Dr. Joe" is the one who also throws the great neighborhood Christmas party each year. This party was to celebrate his birthday. He is Italian, and an excellent cook, so the food was delicious. All the kids are still over there playing dodgeball in his front yard. I had to put Faith down for a nap, so I escaped back home to the peace, quiet, and air conditioning. I forsee showers for everyone, and then a good night's sleep because everyone is going to be exhausted! Tomorrow night we are planning on going to a free Marine Corps band concert at Wolf Trap with our Bible study group, so the social activities just keep on happening!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like we are for sure moving in the near future. I have been going through closets trying to get rid of stuff. I am going to re grout the shower next. I still need to weed the flower beds, stain the fence and the list goes on. Being pregnant has slowed be down though.

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

Claire,

Looks like you had all kinds of fun stuff to blog about. I love peeking into other people's lives.

And I envy you about the garage cleaning and the garage sale. When we moved up to our mountain, we went from a garage I loved to clean out all the time and have sales b/c of it, to no storage. It is a blessing though, b/c it means I am soooo careful about what I buy b/c I may not have anywhere to put it. Glad the sale was so successful. And the 'garage sale tip' was too funny!

xoxo, Veronica in CA

Tonya said...

I can so relate to your not feeling like posting. Seems like I can't find the time to read blogs much lately!

This last move was very tough for me - the toughest ever. We're still trying to organize the house! So my advice is to NOT move. :-) Seriously. You have a great church, great homeschooling support, you like your house and sounds like you have great neighbors. You can't ask for more. :-)

Or you can ignore my advice as bad advice from one tired momma. :-)