Wednesday, May 27, 2009

New Commissary Strategy

Today we made another big trip to the commissary. It has only taken me almost 5 years of living here, and 3 new babies, to figure out the ideal way to work this. I have always done school in the morning of a big trip, fed everyone lunch, nursed, and left right after that. Then the baby would fall asleep in the car, wake up when we got there (about 35 minutes later), and be really crabby by the time we were done (almost 2 hours later). I would nurse in the parking lot before we drove home, and the baby would again fall asleep on the drive, getting another nap that wasn't long enough. We would get on the road around 3:30, which is the busiest time on the main highway we take because at 4:00, the whole road going west becomes an HOV (high occupancy vehicle) road. So at 3:30, all the single commuters are scrambling to get on the road before the witching hour, and the road is quite clogged.

This time, we still did school, and I nursed around 11:00. Then I got everyone lunch while Faith played. We left around 1:00, and Faith napped in the car. I nursed again as soon as we got there, so she was tanked up and ready to go. She was happy the whole time, and she fell asleep as we got to the frozen food section. We left around 4:00, and she slept the way home too, which was a pleasant drive because we zipped right along, with very little traffic. Then at home, I waltzed inside to nurse while the boys unloaded over $600 of groceries! Luke said, "Lucky!" in a very envious voice when I announced my intentions. Time to get out the birthing videos again to remind him he's glad to be a boy, LOL.

So now that I have it figured out, that must mean it's time to move, right?

4 comments:

petersonclan said...

Baby logistics... gotta love finding a smoother way to run things!

Johanna said...

My solution to shopping has been to leave Russell at home with Caden since he is now old enough to babysit. Take Zeke and Olivia with me since she just sits there, and he is actually old enough to help get groceries and carry them in and out. It is soo easy with two and not four

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

OH, yeah, I forgot about all the nursing pit stops that are coming my way VERY SOON! Thanks for the reminder ;0)...

xoxo, Veronica in CA

Beverly said...

I'm looking for the "like" link, but I guess that's only on FB, so now I need to actually type a comment with one hand since I'm nursing/holding Lucan!! ;-)