Friday, May 29, 2009

Deja Vu All OVer Again . . .

We moved here when Jonathan was 1. The next summer, when he was 2, he developed a terrible fear of trash trucks. I don't really remember when this phobia passed, but I can safely say that he is no longer scared when they roar up and down our street. (And I never did move him into the back bedroom, like I had mentioned in the old blog post, so the phase must not have lasted too much longer.)

Now Anna was of course the queen of all phobias. She was hysterically terrified of dogs, cats (even fat, old, slow ones), Muslim women who cover, the vacuum cleaner, etc., culminating with the absolutely humiliating episode with the clown at Golden Corral last summer. Ironically, the one thing that didn't really bother her much was the trash truck. Amazingly, Anna seems to have gotten over all these fears, and I think the clown episode was the last big thing like that (praise the Lord). But I can see a pattern that our kids get scared around 2.

So on Tuesday I was sitting upstairs in the hallway folding laundry when I heard the trash truck rumble down our street (and right by our house because I forgot to put the trash out because of the holiday, LOL). All of a sudden, Grace, who was in her room, starts sobbing loudly. I thought maybe she had gotten stuck somewhere, but when I got in there to see what the problem was, she started crying, "Trash truck! Trash truck!" Sigh.

4 comments:

Michele said...

Sigh . . . I TOTALLY understand that phobia thing! Both of the boys do not like thunder. Thomas is 7 1/2 and still is scared, although he handles it better each year. It's crazy to see them. Julia has no such fears . . . I'm just wondering how long they will be like this. Thomas has even mentioned that he doesn't want to move to the state of TX because of tornadoes there. I'm sure there is a list of states in his head that he doesn't want to live in at all. We'll see what happens when the AF decides to move us -- hopefully he'll be that much closer to outgrowing the fear!

Anonymous said...

How funny. Emily is totally excited when she sees the trash truck.

Tonya said...

For mine it's the vacuum, although it starts around 9 months. I end up carrying them around while I vacuum!

The Brooks Family said...

LOL!!