Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Humbling Week

We are back at home now, after spending some good time this weekend with Bob's family. I will write more about that later, but first I have something of a more personal note to share. This really has been a very humbling week, starting off with the stolen wallet on Wednesday. We have reanalyzed the day at the zoo many times, and we think have a good feel for when the wallet got stolen (while we were distracted under a mister and Faith was in the frontpack). Ultimately the blame falls on me, because I should have left my wallet in the car, or at least been paying more attention to the stroller. I am so thankful that the Lord was gracious and allowed just the wallet to be stolen, as opposed to a child or something. But it has been hard for me to deal with, knowing I was so careless.

I was made aware of something even worse on Saturday, however. People have been hurt by careless and thoughtless words that I wrote on this very blog several years ago. I have already written letters of apology, but of course damage from words can't be covered over just like that. This was a huge blow to me, and I am still reeling from it.

So this week, I feel like I have been held up to a mirror, and I don't like what I have seen of myself. I am thankful that my sins are forgiven through Christ, and at times like this, all I can do is rest in His unmerited grace to me.

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3: 22-23

2 comments:

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

So, sweet Claire, you are a new person, like the last post says. God is refining you daily and humility is such a beautiful characteristic that many of us do not have. I am humbled just reading about it, Sister.

God bless you for being so willing to see the things in yourself you can change for the better. Believe me, I have had some humble pie myself this weekend and had to send a letter/email of apology myself. You are not alone.

xoxo, Veronica in CA

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at how many lives you are involved in! You are so precious to me! Love You, Bob

P.S. As Timmy's Girl said, God Is refining you daily!