Sunday, November 10, 2013

Drew

Drew had a big day on Friday--he took his first steps!  He has been standing well for quite some time, but his feet have remained firmly planted on the ground.  If he had to go even the slightest distance, he would immediately drop down to his hands and knees and start crawling.  But at Bible study on Friday, during snack time, he had a cookie in his hand, and he took a step toward me!  I was so surprised, and I think he was a little surprised too, LOL.  He immediately fell down to his hands and knees.  But then he got back up and tried again.  After we got home and I nursed him, he took 6 or 7 steps in a row!  Unfortunately, Nathan and Bob missed these first steps, because they were off at a mens retreat for our church.  Drew walked a few steps for them today, but not quite as many in a row as Friday night.  I think Grace is the only one who hasn't seen any steps. 

I am also pleased to announce that Drew has finally figured out the magic of a straw!  The kids all use "straw bowls" from WalMart for cereal in the mornings (they really cut down on wasted milk!), and now Drew can use one too!  He's still working on spoon and fork use, but it is so worth any mess he might make for me not to have to feed him.  I'm still watching to see what hand he is favoring, but so far it doesn't seem like it is the left.  I guess it will still just be Jonathan and me as the lone lefties!

With all these accomplishments has come some poor sleeping, all of a sudden, though.  Drew had a terrible night Friday night!  He woke up at 12:30, and I nursed him.  He fell asleep as he was finishing up, so I thought he was good to go, but instead, as soon as I laid him down in his pack-n-play, he immediately sat up and started crying.  I thought he would settle down and stop crying pretty quickly . .  but alas, no.  After another half an hour of him just sort of fussing around, I went in and held him for awhile.  He was laughing and kicking around, like it was the middle of the day!  I, however, was tired, so eventually I put him down and resolved to just leave him there.  He fussed around off and on for a good 30 or 40 more minutes while I dozed.  Eventually we both did fall asleep--only for him to wake up crying again at 4:15!  What on earth!  So I nursed him again, and then we both fell asleep.  I woke up at 5:30 with my arms asleep, realizing I was still sitting up, with my neck in an awkward position, LOL.  I put him down again, and this time he did stay down and sleep for while.  I was so tired yesterday, though!

And again last night, he was up at 12:30 to nurse!  I was worried, but this time, he did go back down and stay asleep.  Still, hopefully just a growth spurt that will pass quickly.  I am NOT a fan of these midnight feedings he has reinstituted!

No comments: