Thursday, December 09, 2004

The Boy and His Binky

Well, I think the hold of the binky over Caleb has finally been broken, or at the very least, significantly loosened. Last night was his first night to actually go the whole night without it. For the last several nights, I haven't let him have it to go to sleep with, but it has taken a lot of fussing before he's actually gone off to sleep. Two nights ago, he was very obstinate, and when I told him he could just hug his Koala Bear, he said, "I hate my Koala Bear!" Well! So I took the bear away and told Caleb that if he yelled and screamed for it after saying such a mean thing, then I would have to discipline him. Eventually he went to sleep. For a few nights, he's woken up early in the morning, like around 6:00, and wanted his binky, and I just gave it to him, figuring that as he got better at falling asleep on his own, he would not wake up needing it in the early morning either, because he'd be able to get himself off to sleep. Last night he cried out around 2:30, but I was able to just go in and pat his back for a minute or two, and then he went back to sleep. He didn't wake up this morning until I went in at 9:30. Yay! Of course I don't want his teeth ruined or anything by long-time pacifier use, but I also was worried that his binky was going to fall apart pretty soon, and I wanted him to give it up without it breaking and him having to go off cold turkey!

No comments: